PDA

View Full Version : H.O.R.S.E. structure help

Duece Three
08-10-2004, 03:15 PM
I have some questions about a home H.O.R.S.E. tournament. I am considering trying to host a small tourny at my home and a couple of us want to "change it up a little"...

I'll appologize in advance as some questions might be border line idiodic. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

1. When switching between games, like hold'em to stud for example, do you also switch from the blind structure of hold'em to the ante/bring-in structure of a normal stud game? It would seem that if you do the logical thing and change to an ante, you would also need a fair amount of a lesser chip value for the ante...

2. Would you suggest changing games based on a set time, or a number of button revolutions.

3. Do you keep rotating the game until there is no one left, or do keep playing the last game for the rest of the tourny...

4. Is the order h-o-r-s-e typically the order in which the games are played?

Seems to me that I had other questions...feel free to offer suggestions when hosting a tourny like this...

Thank you in advance.

Jeremy

nef
08-10-2004, 04:18 PM
1. Yes, it usually switches to antes/ bring-in. yes you may need smaller denomination chips, or you could use stud structures that take one type of chip. e.g. $40/$80 with a $10 ante, $10 bring-in, played with $10 chips. There are a couple of others.

2. generally at a hose or horse game it switches after one round, usually 8 hands if the game is being played 8 handed. This way everyone pays the blinds and gets the button in a flop game.

3. I would keep rotating every round, but if you wanted, you could just play a different game at every stage of the tourney. This wouldn't really test as many players skills because they wouldn't have a chance to play all games.

Lottery Larry
08-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Another way to handle this without having to deal with smaller chips is make the dealer ante for the table (even if absent)- you can warp the ante to match the chips and not worry about taking antes out of people's stacks when away from the table.

I would go 2 rounds for each game at least, maybe 3. It's tough to get in any type of flow after 8-10 hands. I wouldn't do by time or stages- you won't get the same amount of hands for each game in.

If you have a 10-player table and worry about the stud games, use an auto sit-out rule. The two players to the dealer's right do not get dealt in (leaving you 8 players out of 10).
That way, everyone gets the same number of hands in and out of the game and you won't have to use a shared card that often.

Duece Three
08-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Thank you both for your answers and suggestions.