PDA

View Full Version : Why are Tom Cruz, John Travolta, and others Scientologists ?

playerfl
08-10-2004, 03:02 PM
I have been speculating about this for a while. I live near one of the few true hotbeds of scientology, and my opinions have softened a bit since most scientologists are no different than most anything else, just people with some wacky ( to me ) belief systems. Still, how did they snare these movie stars ?

scotnt73
08-10-2004, 03:25 PM
i think it was just the it thing to do for a while.

Malarky
08-10-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been speculating about this for a while. I live near one of the few true hotbeds of scientology, and my opinions have softened a bit since most scientologists are no different than most anything else, just people with some wacky ( to me ) belief systems. Still, how did they snare these movie stars ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Their system favors the wealthy -- classes and course materials in scientology are not cheap.

rusty JEDI
08-10-2004, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it was just the it thing to do for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like right now Kabala is the hot thing to do. Brittney and Madonna (ester) say so.

rJ

Boris
08-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Most systems favor the wealthy. How does the Scientology system benefit the wealthy?

MMMMMM
08-10-2004, 08:02 PM
"How does the Scientology system benefit the wealthy?"

My impression is that Scientology benefits the wealthy by relieving them of large amounts of surplus cash, thereby assauaging their subconscious guilt.

CollegePlayer
08-10-2004, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh geez!

Ulysses
08-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Question 7 of the FAQ has one take on this (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/faq-you/celeb.txt)

Lots of other good info on Scientology (http://www.xenu.net/)

Celebrities are courted very aggressively by the Church of Scientology and they are treated very differently than the normal membership. Many celebrities are apparently completely unaware of a lot of Scientology beliefs and are pitched something that is very different than what is presented to everyone else.

There are lots of rumors regarding blackmail and other pressure that the organization brings to bear against celebrities that try to leave.

natedogg
08-10-2004, 09:40 PM
And scientology is a cult that preys on the mentally weak. It especially targets the rich and stupid, thus you see a lot of hollywood types.

natedogg

nothumb
08-11-2004, 12:10 AM
I don't trust any religion founded on a BET.

NT

Duke
08-11-2004, 02:18 AM
Those founded by people who thought the Earth was the flat center of the universe are much more reputable, I'm sure.

Xenu has as much chance of existing as the devil.

Scientologists are no more dangerous than Mormons, and hell, they hosted the Olympics.

~D

playerfl
08-11-2004, 02:17 PM
thats how I think of them as well, like a sort of sci-fi version of the mormons. The mormons are interesting as well because there are really two mormon religions, one for the masses and a secret one for about 20% of the followers that are most involved in the church.

playerfl
08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
there is speculation, but nothing proven, that there is some kind of tax kickback operation happening. Scientology is legally a church in the u.s. and donations are tax deductible.

However I am more inclined to think that they just suckered these people and now its much easier to stay in than leave.

Ray Zee
08-11-2004, 02:53 PM
when you are very gifted in one endevour, people tend to be very eccentric, the rich movie stars have all the qualifications to be enticed by these organizations. they have made all the money they can spend and have all the success and fame they can stand so they look for something intangible. we all do somewhat. people believe in luck, church, god, the devil, voodoo,karma, etc. its all foolishness to explain random events. in my opinion, which tends to offend many at times.

John Cole
08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
On the other hand, you have exceptional others like me who are very rational. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zeno
08-11-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, you have exceptional others like me who are very rational.

[/ QUOTE ]

John, rational people own guns. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(I could not resist)

-Zeno

tyfromm
08-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Greetings my fellow thetans. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

http://www.scientology.org/wis/wiseng/42/42P6601.gif

Ulysses
08-11-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And scientology is a cult that preys on the mentally weak. It especially targets the rich and stupid, thus you see a lot of hollywood types.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should post more, natedogg.

John Cole
08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Zeno,

I'm fifty years old, have never needed a gun for any reason, and see nothing rational in owning one. I try not to own stuff I don't need. (Of course, I do own stuff I don't need.)

I did, though, I confess, like target shooting at the local Y when I was a kid.

Senor Choppy
08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
As far as why scientology appeals to hollywood stars instead of traditional religion, I believe it's due to the fact that scientology believes than man is basically good, and allows the successful to live guilt free about their lot in life. It also provides those who have accomplished everything traditionally seen as worthwhile another path of improvement (or at least, one that is longer and more complex than other religions). The murkiness of that path is something that's probably pretty appealing.