PDA

View Full Version : 98s on the Button

Gatts
08-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Was this a bit LAG?

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Sent
08-10-2004, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't raise with 98s in LP, you flopped monster draws both flush and straight so everything else looks ok to me.

-Sent

Nottom
08-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Preflop raise is marginally LAG and the turn 3-bet is a mistake. You are almost certainly behind and aren't getting value on the turn heads-up even with a very strong draw like the one you have.

If you had something with some showdown value like J /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif or even A /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I would like the 3-bet a lot more.

Gatts
08-10-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise is marginally LAG and the turn 3-bet is a mistake. You are almost certainly behind and aren't getting value on the turn heads-up even with a very strong draw like the one you have.

If you had something with some showdown value like J /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif or even A /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I would like the 3-bet a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the turn 3-bet is what I questioned most, since I'd have to fold on the river unimproved, and I probably don't have the odds heads up to ram and jam even with about a billion outs (or 15).

This is about the smallest hand I'd raise preflop with, but you're right, this is a drawing hand and a drawing hand only, and if I whiff on the draws I have nothing.

Thanks!

skierdude1000
08-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I agree that a preflop raise is wrong

Chris Daddy Cool
08-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Last night I played a live 3/6 hand where I raised from the CO with 98s and won a 3 way showdown.... with 9 high.

skierdude1000
08-10-2004, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last night I played a live 3/6 hand where I raised from the CO with 98s and won a 3 way showdown.... with 9 high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you won doesn't mean your play was correct (results oriented is what you're being)

Chris Daddy Cool
08-10-2004, 06:13 PM
This was meant to be a somewhat humorous post.

On a sidenote however: It is sometimes correct to raise suited medium-high suited connectors from the CO to buy the button.

skierdude1000
08-10-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was meant to be a somewhat humorous post.

On a sidenote however: It is sometimes correct to raise suited medium-high suited connectors from the CO to buy the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sometimes wasn't in that hand and not at those stakes

cartoonsoldier
08-10-2004, 06:22 PM
I agree Chris that you can raise 89s in LP sometimes, but I wouldn't do that at .02/.04

If I flop a strong draw, which this hand is going to flop instead of a made hand most times, I would want people to stay in.