PDA

View Full Version : Low Stakes Bad habits

playerfl
08-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I have realized over the past few weeks that many of my mistakes are the result of bad habits picked up at low limit games. I read an anecdote in T.J.'s book on PL and NL holdem where he talks about a player that plays his "A" game for about two hours, then reverts back to his ingrained "B" game which isn't good enough to win long term. I think this is the situation I am in at present.

At first I thought I was just fishing out due to fatigue, but now I realize I am reverting to habits built up during the first 6 months of my poker career which actually worked when playing with bad players at inconsequential stakes.

I would like to hear from anyone with a similar problem and what they have done about it, or are trying to do about it.

TripleH68
08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS. Some say poker is one long game and where you stand in each session should not be considered too seriously. It seems to me the truly great players play each hand as an individual game and execute each hand to the best of their ability. Just like a great golfer executes each stroke. If there is a "leak" in my game it is just flat relaxing for a ten or fifteen minute span and not paying close enough attention. One ball hit out of bounds and one in the water...and my round becomes average. The only thing I have tried is when I feel this coming on I sit out an orbit and take a walk...even when that walk is away from the computer and back.

Cry Me A River
08-10-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It seems to me the truly great players play each hand as an individual game and execute each hand to the best of their ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me, poker is a lot like football. In a football game, there will be maybe a couple hundred (?) plays. Of those, there will be maybe a half dozen "key" plays that really decide the game (this is less true for a team which relies on a persistant running game or relentless, punishing defence but I'm generalising for the sake of metaphor, so bear with me). However, in order to get to those key plays, you need to play all the ones in between. And if you don't "show up" for any of those "mundane" plays, it play can quickly become a key play - For the other team.

It's often said, of a variety of sports, that "it's a game of mistakes". Poker is very much the epitome of this. In a sport, like football, the worst that any play can do to you is cost you six points. In poker, one hand cab wreck your whole night. Or make your whole week-end.

The big advantage you have in poker is that you can get up and leave at any time*. If you find yourself getting fatigued or loosing focus it's time to leave. Table selection is a key weapon in your arsenal. Table selection includes leaving a table that is no longer optimum - If you're not playing your best, then by definition the table is no longer optimum. Failing to do so would be like Joe Montana deciding to kick it away on the first down.

*tournaments notwithstanding, but if this a recurring problem in tournaments, schedule yourself shorter tournaments.