PDA

View Full Version : Izmet Fekali tactics same as SSH? (in a nutshell).........

doggin
08-10-2004, 01:05 PM
I just picked up my copy of SSH at Borders and go through the first 40 pages, seems like a super book too, can't wait to digest the thing.

I also discovered Fekali's site and read his writings on
loose low limit play with interest.

In live 4/8 play at Caesars In, I had been folding suited
Ace rag and King rag in early position. Most players have been calling an extra bet however so this helped hands like these in late position. During my last visit while on the button, I was dealt K4h and called, the big blind raised
and there were a ton of callers. I actually hesitated to
call the extra bet for a few seconds because I really hate
to see a flop for two bets with a hand like this but I had
the callers to make it a good call. Flop came all hearts
with the Ace to boot! Hot damn! Now if the board does'nt pair the pots all mine......and I'm on the button.
Anyway, I just called the flop for about 5 bets and CR the
turn and bet out on the river for a huge pot indeed. All
the while thinking about Fekali's advice on playing Ace and
King with a suited small card.

You guys familiar with Izmet's poker writtings?

I really like Ed Millers thoughts on the cost of seeing
the flop, usually for just one bet you can see the flop,
and if the hand is the type of hand that can draw to the
nuts, why not. There have been postings of players who have
experienced a pretty big down-draft in their BR's since
utilizing newly gained tactics from SSH. I feel their biggest problem in leaking......is not getting away from
post flop play quick enough. I watch players going all the
way to the river with not second best hands but third best
hands. I've done it myself and it's a foolish feeling to
turn over the third best hand.

But from what I've read so far, SSH seems to be the nuts.
I love the way it explains things like pot odds and the
little math explanations for figuring underdog values.

Not sure why I posted...................Oh, Fekali ???

Victor
08-10-2004, 01:19 PM
I read fekali a long time ago (made total sense to me in the games I play) and SSHE reminded me of his tactics too. I am glad 2+2 got it together and altered their repertoire a bit. Fekali is kinda funny in his writings as he points out that S&M disagree with some of his plays.

J.R.
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
There have been postings of players who have experienced a pretty big down-draft in their BR's since utilizing newly gained tactics from SSH. I feel their biggest problem in leaking......is not getting away from post flop play quick enough.

I think people obviously misapplay the concepts, as they are complex and its difficult to instantly get a handle on how to best apply the concepts in the midst of a hand. And while this may get flamed, the book is seems better suited for california low limit games and one needs to play a little more conservatively in low limit party games for example, where the notion of 4-7 clueless people for one or two bets holds far less true and the games play a little tougher.

In addition, I think people like to embrace their LAG nature (I am often guilty) and seek to find raises without conisdering the liklihood that calling or folding may be more profitable or less costly and overestimate how often a raise will "clean up" their outs or cause a better hand or a hand that is drwaing live to fold. While eds book is great, the bottom line is that there isn't as much room to make great creative plays in low limit games as most of us would like and a lot of success in these games is still abc tight/aggressive grinding.

Either way, Ed and Izmet both stress the equity rammin' and jammin' idea, and that is, next to tight is right, probabaly the most profitable low limit concept there is.