PDA

View Full Version : Optimal preflop play in the microlimits??

Atropos
08-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey folks,
I now recognize that I'm probably playing much too weak-tight, postflop I now nearly know what to do... bet/raise/3bet/cap anything /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I really really really need help on my preflop play, 11VP$IP seems to be leaving much money on the table.

Here is how I play play preflop atm:

Raising Hands:
AA-JJ
AK, AQ, AJ

Calling Hands, Early Position:
ATs, but only rarely /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Calling Hands, Middle Position (no Raise):
TT-99
KQs
ATs
sometimes A9s

Calling Hands, Late Position: (no raise)
KQo (rarely)
KJs, KJo (very rarely)
AXs (not too often)

Small Blind, Calling Hands:
- all pocket pairs if 4+ callers
- two facecards (KT, QT...) if suited
- suited connectors down to 76s if 4+ callers
- against raise I play nothing other than my raising hands

Big Blind:
- check if no raise /images/graemlins/smile.gif
- against raise I play nothing other than my raising hands

If I called with my calling hands and it gets raised behind me I will call the raise.
I only reraise preflop with AA,KK,QQ
I only call raises preflop with JJ,AKs,AKo,AQs,AQo

OK, obviously I need as much help as possible, to become a tight-agressive player like the rest of you.

btspider
08-10-2004, 01:17 PM
loosen up ALOT with pocket pairs. at .5/1.00 on party, i don't sit at a table where I don't feel I can limp UTG with 22 (well, unless i sit with a maniac buddy or two).

KQo can be raised from any position if there has been no raise yet. you can raise it UTG, but you need some postflop play to back that up.

KJo can be played in LP, but you should be raising with it to fold the blinds and isolate weak limpers.

you can play suited connectors more liberally, but preferably in later position.

what is your PFR?

easypete
08-10-2004, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I now recognize that I'm probably playing much too weak-tight, postflop I now nearly know what to do... bet/raise/3bet/cap anything /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops... I don't think anybody meant to give you that impression. You still have to play smart post flop.

As for the rest of it (starting hands), read this.

Abdul's pre-flop strategy. (http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/strategy/preflop-abdul.html)

It's a good start.

What you have listed is a little tight-passive, IMO.

Atropos
08-10-2004, 01:27 PM
@easypete:
Yep I know, the /images/graemlins/wink.gif should indicate ironic tendences, but these dont work on internet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have actually read Abduls page long ago, and HPFAP starting hand reqs, and WLLLH starting hand reqs.
But are either of these really good for these loose games?
How do you reach 10% PFR without being too lag?

cold_cash
08-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Don't forget suited Aces.

Also, like Spider said loosen up with your pocket pairs.

KJs and the like should be a raise in an unraised pot from any position.

Raise w/ TT.

I raise 99 from everywhere, but if you're not comfy with that I guess limping in EP isn't the end of the world. I'd raise it the closer I got to the button though.

In the big blind if you're playing with "nothing but your raising hands" against a raise, you might be giving up too much. For example, if an EP player raises and gets 4 callers, you should be calling with any pocket pair or suited Ace (and some other hands) even though those aren't really "your raising hands".

You can call pre-flop raises with a lot more hands than you listed if you know there's going to a bunch of other cold-callers. Don't go overboard with this, though. If you're not sure, fold, but if 6 people have cold-called in front of you and you're on the button w/ 77, call.

skirtus
08-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey Atropos,

I had similiar tight preflop standards when I first started playing. Was a good way to learn and still be slightly profitable. I have since made lots of changes. I think the best way to improve preflop play is to understand how different types of hands play. I broke my hands into groups like Big Pairs, Medium Pairs, Small Pairs, Big Suited Connectors, ect., ect., and studied the 2+2 and HEFAP for advice. Now I can adjust my play based on the players and have a more fluid game. Once I had a better understanding on how these types of hands played in raised or unraised and multi or shorthanded pots I was able to play more hands and increase my win/rate. It also added some more deception to my game.

Nottom
08-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I decided to play a little .5/1 just to see what the games are like for about an hour this afternoon. They are still soft as ever if not moreso.

Based on that, my preflop standards look something like this ...

EP:
Any pair, Axs, all suited braodways + K9s, J9s, and T9s
Raise with AJo+, ATs+, KQo, KJs+, TT+

MP:
If no limpers:
drop 22-55, J9s, T9s from EP limps
Raise with ATo+, A9s+, KJo+, KTs+, QJs, 99+

with a couple limpers:
add 67s, 78s, 89s, J9s, Q9s
raise with the same stuff from EP

LP:
no limpers:
limp with nothing
raise with A7s+, A9o+, KTo+, K8s+, QTo+, Q9s+, J9s+, JTo, T9s, 66+

with a few limpers:
limp with 54s+, 75s+, J8s+, Q8s+, Kxs, Axs, any pair, any broadway cards.
raise with A8s+, K9s+, QJs+, AQo+, 99+

with tons of limpers: raise Axs, any suited broadways, 66+, J9s, T9s

SB (after some limpers):
Complete with any two suited, 56o+, T8o+, Ax, any two broadway cards
Raise with ATs+, KJs+, AQo+ and JJ+

BB:
Raise with the same stuff as from the SB.

Or you could just buy Ed's book and use his charts ...

chief444
08-10-2004, 02:05 PM
ATs, TT, 99, KQs, KQo, KJs, and some worse hands yet I usually raise with from any position if there has been no raise. 99 I sometimes limp with if there are a multitude of limpers but I still usually raise.

I 3-bet with JJ, AKs, AK, AQs, sometimes TT and AQ, and sometimes worse depending on the situation.

But as Rico jokingly pointed out (and is correct about) I tend to get a little LAGGY at times. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

chief444
08-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Nottom,

That's probably the best 1 page guide to pf play I've seen. Nice work.

Chief

Atropos
08-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey nottom,
thx very much for your help!
I of course plan on buying Ed's book, but I'm from Europe and it costs 16$ shipping fee. I will wait for some european second hand sellers to make it cheaper...

cold_cash
08-10-2004, 02:13 PM
$16 is one good pot.

Atropos
08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
You are right, but waiting one month for 14$ is not bad either. +++ Middle-Limit Holdem by Ciaffone just arrived,
Improve your Poker, Inside the Poker Mind, Psychology of Poker, High-Low Split Poker and Winning Omaha 8 will arrive next weak, so I have something to read for the next 2 weaks. When I'm finished with reading and rereading I'll probably order it even if its too expensive with shipping costs.

Billman
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or you could just buy Ed's book and use his charts ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also highly recommend Ed's book. I think he does the best job explaining why certain hands are more valuable than others. I noted in the original post not much distinction was being made between suited and unsuited hands (except for the middle connectors). KJo is not the same hand as KJs and can be played differently. Again, read Ed's book and really study his examples in regards to why one hand is more profitable than another.