PDA

View Full Version : New to Figuring Odds (Ace-High Flush v. King-High Flush)

DontTellMama
08-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Please forgive this elementary question, but I am new to calculating odds. What formula would I use to calculate the odds that my King-High Flush will be beaten by an Ace-High Flush after the river with three of my suit on the board. Example: I hold KhJh and board shows 4h Qd 7h 5c 2h. Do I bet/raise the river or just check/call/fold in fear of A-high flush beating my K-high flush? Thanks for your responses.

aloiz
08-10-2004, 01:39 PM
It depends on how many other people are in the hand, but for simplicity sake let's assume you're heads up at the river. Then the odds that someone has an ace high flush is 7/C(45,2) =~ .007 (7 = # ways opponent can have ace high flush, C(45,2) = total number of different two card hands opponent could have).
So in answer to your question you would want to bet/raise/re-raise. With a king high flush on a board like that I would almost always cap it unless I had a real strong read on my opponent.

aloiz

tubbyspencer
08-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Well there’s more to this than just the pure random aspect of it. People are more likely to play Axs than Kxs than Qxs and so on. Therefore, you are better off when you hold the second nut flush of Qxs than when you hold the second nut flush with Kxs.

Either way, I’d bet the hell out of it in most games I play.