PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

Chuckles1248
08-10-2004, 11:48 AM
No notes on UTG or BB, $10+1 SnG. (Results later today)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t600)
MP2 (t1135)
CO (t1280)
Button (t693)
Hero (t1515)
BB (t1307)
UTG (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t50, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, BB calls t100, UTG calls t100.

Flop: (t450) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1365 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t1320 (All-In).

BassMan712
08-10-2004, 12:03 PM
I'd overbet the pot in the situation to hopefully eliminate possible flush draws.

If you're re-raised however, now you have a decision to make.

hummusx
08-10-2004, 12:03 PM
This is just my initial impression, but I don't see why you would want to push in this situation. You need to bet enough to make flush draws wrong, but any other hand that isn't already beating you is probably dominated so you'd probably like to bring them along and take their money. Right?

Chuckles1248
08-10-2004, 12:05 PM
That's a good point, I wasn't thinking about how to bring along worse hands, just how to push out draws.

Peter Harris
08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
i'd bet 600 on the flop, if called and a blank turns, put the rest in.

If reraised, you have a decision (flush draw or made hand??).

Pushing seems drastic in my mind. You want draws out and weaker Q's to run along.

Regards,
Pete Harris

Chuckles1248
08-10-2004, 12:22 PM
What's your suggestion if I'm called and the flush card hits?
Do I bet and fold if raised, or do I check-call?
What about if I bet the turn and am just called again there?

Thanks

Hood
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
(edit: this should have been in reply to Peter Harris)

I don't like that plan.

If you get one caller on the flop, you're left with 765 to push in to a pot 1650. Anyone who'll call 600 on the flop is going to call this on the turn. So surely all you're doing is encouraging someone on the flop with a worse hand (say a flush draw) to catch up with you on the turn. And how do you play if a K comes on the flop? Or a flush card comes? You may have to check/fold the best hand. You also don't mention what happens if you're re-raised on the flop. Presumably you fold... and you've just wasted 600 chips. I just don't see what the flop bet does that a push doesn't.

I think this also holds true for a bet of 400, but less so. It just looks weak and is encouraging callers on a hand that is great but vulnerable.

I like the push all-in. Yes, only better hands will call and only worse hands will fold, but I'm happy to take down those 450 chips with the best hand.

Chuckles1248
08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
That was my thinking behind the All-In, I didn't want flush draws to even have a chance without getting all their money in on a 2 to 1 dog hand, and I knew there was a significant chance that with just two people in, I could pick up the pot right there, which was my plan.

Any other opinions / ideas?

parappa
08-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Set: If he's got a set of 8s, I don't see what you can do about that. Certainly in a 10+1 a set of 3s is possible. If you put in a 450 bet, he's probably going to just call and you've got the same problem.

AA/KK: Extremely unlikely, as I think he'd reraise pre-flop and you have an ace.

2 pair: Q8 seems unlikely.

Weaker Queen: Maybe. I think UTG in a 10+1 could call a raise with KQ, QJ, or even QT, suited or not.

Spade draw: Seems by far the most likely to me. I'd put him on KJs, KTs, something like that.

The problem in this situation in a 10+1 is that even if the player's on a spade draw, they're unlikely to understand enough about their drawing odds to lay it down, even for an all-in bet. I've been drawn out many times in 10+1s.

This is a tough hand, and I think that the way you played it is as good as any other way. I'm guessing that he either showed you a monster or was drawing to the flush.

durron597
08-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I would raise more preflop, to like T200. If BB/UTG still came along, I can't see UTG having a flush draw (since you would know if he was an "I play any two suited" type by now). If you don't know that by now (it's level 3), it's a big leak in your game.

Anyway, if he's calling the T200 bet, then he has a pretty strong hand. I don't think the flush draw is an issue (since you have the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif) so I would probably bet about 2/3 pot and fold to a reraise.

Chuckles1248
08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I confess that I was three-tabling at the time and not paying a whole lot of attention to the action I wasn't involved in, so I probably could have had more information about the type of player he was.

ddubois
08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
One point that I havent seen mentioned in this thread is the "He's bluffing!" impression a massive overbet gives. He probably suspects you are semi-buffing the flush when you push like that. That might motivate him to call with any Q, or even JJ/TT.

PITTM
08-10-2004, 04:22 PM
yeah, results please.

rj

Chuckles1248
08-10-2004, 05:16 PM
UTG Quickly called and flipped over 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Turn was 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, river was 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and UTG takes it with the flush.