PDA

View Full Version : 78% rule?

unfrgvn
08-10-2004, 11:26 AM
What is it? I searched and found many refrences to it, but not the description. It appears to have been coined by William and I suspect it's a joke, but inquiring minds want to know.

William
08-10-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is it? I searched and found many refrences to it, but not the description. It appears to have been coined by William and I suspect it's a joke, but inquiring minds want to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

In pre-flop all-in situations the "dog" hand will win 78% of the time.

It was meant as a semi-joke, but its origin comes from a small sample research I made at PokerStars (also called RiverStars). I guess, I was unlucky enough to research during a string of bad luck.

Used wisely, a powerful weapon at the tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William

unfrgvn
08-10-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In pre-flop all-in situations the "dog" hand will win 78% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains a lot. And I keep thinking I need to get all in with the best hand. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the answer and good to see you back.

Eder
08-10-2004, 04:56 PM
I found that all in preflop often results in being proud of betting with the best hand, but losing to the inferior hand. Refering to the 78% rule ...is it a powerful tool meaning that it is best to avoid all - in preflop if possible?

William
08-10-2004, 05:45 PM
it is best to avoid all - in preflop if possible?

Well, that really depends on the site you play at.

I am not saying some are rigged, but they do use different card shuffler softwares and in my (humble) opinion, some are better than others.

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

La Brujita
08-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Come on William you are talking crazy. Although I have to say a part of me feels the same way, I just ignore that part of me.

William
08-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Well, that's what happens when AA has lost over 10 times in a row /images/graemlins/frown.gif

poboy
08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
And I thought it was just me. Sometimes it feels more like 87% of the time your destined to lose with a premium hand to garbage. Here's a thought, if this theory is correct wouldn't it make more sense to get all your chips in the middle when you have a dog hand?

Eder
08-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Well I play Pstars and esp during mtt's I see the dog hands excell...I know playing SnG's here I stop pushing unless desperate...my ROI went up to 59% from ~40...of course thats only 1 adjustment I have made to my game, but personally I feel it has been an improvement....jmo