PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my new Dell monitor

jwvdcw
08-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Very happy with it but having slight problems.

They give you two possible connection cables: the D-Sub(smaller blue cable)and the DVI-D(larger white cable). For some reason, my computer will hook up fine with the D-Sub, but I can't get the monitor to work using the DVI-D outlet.

The reason that I want to use the Dell with the DVI-D outlet is because I heard that I can hook up two monitors at once in order to get optimal monitor screen space. Well, my other monitor(the Sony Viao 17in that came with my computer) will only hook up with the D-Sub port, therefore, I must put the Dell into the DVI-D in order to use both at once.

So basically, I have two questions. First, how do I connect my Dell using the DVI-D port? Second, once I do this, how do I use both monitors at once?

Thanks very much for any help.

adios
08-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Call Dell about the connection problem.

jwvdcw
08-10-2004, 11:38 AM
You know how if you choose one of the opions and you don't have that chord hooked up then you'll get a little box that says 'self test feature check' and it'll have four colors below it. Well, when I plug the DVI-D in and turn the montior to that option, I do NOT get that. So it is detecting it properly. What happens is that the green light on the monitor turns orange and its pitch black.

jwvdcw
08-10-2004, 12:32 PM
After reading through the online instructions, it seems as if the orange light indicates 'power save mode'. So for whatver reason I am alwasy in power save mode when I try to use the DVI-D attachment. I move the mouse and hit the keyboard but it won't get out of this mode. Anyone able to help now?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not the foremost expert, but I have staid at a Holiday Inn Express before, so here's my take:

About the orange light: That just means your monitor isn't getting a signal from your computer. This could be because your computer isn't on or is sleeping itself (you tried waking it up by moving the mouse and hitting the keyboard), or because it's just not connected (properly). My money's on the latter.

About the two ways to plug it in: I really don't think that you're going to be able to plug in one monitor into the DVI and one into the regular jack and have a dual-monitor system. I'm pretty sure you're going to need a second video card for that. This being the case, you might as well just plug it into the regular port because your motivation for using the DVI seems to be because you want to plug a 2nd monitor into this one and that's not going to work. As for 'solving' the 'real' problem of why your DVI port isn't working, I'm sorry, but I can't help you with that. It shouldn't bother you, though, unless that kind of thing really bothers you (these things do sometimes bother me).

Finally, I hope you're only going to use the second monitor for a few trivial things. I don't know what it is, but my guess is looking at the new Dell (I assume it's the FP2001 or whatever - the big LCD) and then looking at the other one is going to make the old one really look bad and going back and forth between the two might suck a bit.

Dynasty
08-10-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call Dell about the connection problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took Dell about three weeks to get my two monitors working properly after I bought my new system. They mailed me 4 different parts and I had a service call but they still didn't get both monitors working together. On the 5th part sent, we managed to get everything working.

Dell service is terrible.

jwvdcw
08-10-2004, 04:12 PM
I think I found my answer, but I'm not sure yet.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=33721

jwvdcw
08-10-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

About the two ways to plug it in: I really don't think that you're going to be able to plug in one monitor into the DVI and one into the regular jack and have a dual-monitor system. I'm pretty sure you're going to need a second video card for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? My Sony Viao is a fairly new computer, so I figured it would have all of the 'extras' that I needed.

jwvdcw
08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Jeez...that link I posted seems to note my exact problem, but I don't have the slightest clue where to begin. I don't even know which kind of video card I have. If anyone can walk me through some of the basic steps, it'd be greatly appriciated.