PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL 2+2 CHILD ACCOLADES THREAD

CollegePlayer
08-10-2004, 09:50 AM
After reading the thread in "Books/Software" about Lee Jones, I decided to create this thread so the local 2+2 tribe could list their child accolades.

I'll go first:

2nd Grade -- 1st Place in Science Fair

MaxPower
08-10-2004, 10:08 AM
In Junior High School, I won a gold medal in the "Olympics of the Mind"

WillMagic
08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Ooh, where do I begin?

School Math Contest winner - 3rd grade
School Science Fair winner - 5th grade
School Speech contest winner - 5th grade
School Geography Bee winner - 8th grade
School History award winner - 8th grade
Little League Minors All-Star

So, basically, I own you all. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

MD2020
08-10-2004, 02:54 PM
In first grade, during our recital of "The Twelve Days of Christmas", I was the partridge in the pear tree.

As that is the one that gets mentioned the most, I was the star of the show.

scotnt73
08-10-2004, 03:33 PM
i kindergarten i cam home from school. unlocked the door. locked it behind me. made myself a bowl of cereal and watched tv till my grandmother got home from work at 6:30 or 7 pm. i was not to answer the door or phone unless the phone rang once then started ringing again.

one day i came home and heard a strange noise. i cracked the bathroom door and saw lots of smoke. i dropped everything and ran 5 blocks to the store. i told them my house was on fire. they called 911. when we got back to my house my grandmother and grandfather were ther with the fire dept. turns out i was just a busted pipe under the bathroom sink blowing hot water and the fire dept fixed it.

everyone had big smiles on there faces and told me i did real good. they even gave me a medal.

jagoff
08-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Jesus I was awesome when I was little! I won everything I did and now I am a big old piece of crap! Yep life sure has changed. Let's see if I can list them all...

8 year old PPK champ
9 year old PPK champ
10 year old PPK champ
11 year old PPK champ
12 year old PPK champ
8 year old hit pitch and run champ
9 year old HPR champ
10 year old HPR champ
11 year old HPR champ
12 year old HPR champ
12 year old league MVP in baseball (still have record for lowest ERA and threw 6 no hitters). MVP in All Star tourney
14 year old league MVP
16 year old league MVP, batting title, MVP in All Star Tourney

8th grade science award
4th grade 2nd place in spelling bee (it haunts me to this day that I misspelled secretary)
5th grade was moved to 6th grade math
6th grade I was the only 6th grader to ever take algebra
8th grade Presidential Fitness award
7th grade was the one and only 7th grader to start on the JH basketball team
8th grade was named conference MVP in JH basketball

I guess I was the big fish in a small pond. Of course you know what happens when you take that fish outta that pond! He shrivels up on the shore, goes out with a psycho who tries to run him over with his own car and finally disappears off of the radar! Good times

Malarky
08-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Who cares. Everyone won too many awards to remember when they were a kid because that is what you do for kids: give them lots of awards to encourage their progress.

Malarky
08-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Also: COUNTDOWN UNTIL AIRPOANEMAN POSTS ABOUT HOW HE SOLD STOCKS WITH ONE HAND AND INVENTED AP TESTING WITH THE OTHER WHEN HE WAS 12. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

B Dids
08-10-2004, 04:49 PM
3rd grade- won a science fair.

14 years old- first in state bowling trophy.

Jr year of high school- Jazz band took 2nd place in our division at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival.

And once I saw a boob.

mikech
08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4th grade 2nd place in spelling bee (it haunts me to this day that I misspelled secretary)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, how do you get "secretary" wrong? I was school spelling bee champ 3 years running in 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, the last of which I was also district champ, eventually getting knocked out in regionals on the word "liaison." I won a t-shirt and a thesaurus, yippee.

Ever watch the Spelling Bee Finals on ESPN? Now there's high drama; a kid fainted on stage this year.

Vehn
08-10-2004, 04:56 PM
I was the only person in the history of my high school to be a national merit semi finalist (on the basis of my PSAT scores), but not be a finalist. Mostly because in my "give me money" essay I told them not to give me money.

Zeno
08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I was almost held back in the Sixth Grade. My parents stopped the derailment. Details are too numerous to list but spelling and English were two bugaboos.

To illustrate, my father build us kids a combo desk/bookshelves along the wall of our bedroom out of Western Red Cedar. On the wall, under the bookshelves, was a long, long list of verbs and all the proper conjugations, from the familiar to the silly to the obscure. I was to memorize this list or die trying. Instead, I invented a game.

First, you try balancing yourself in a chair using only the back legs and while doing this have a sharp wooden pencil in your hand. As you move forward toward the desk the pencil is use to push back from the desk and rebalance yourself on the back legs of the chair. This is a very difficult procedure and takes hours of practice to master. The pencil lead sinks deep into the soft cedar wood of the desk and leaves a circular impression. Thus you can track your progress (much to the dismay of my father). If you break the pencil or even the lead tip that is minus some points. In addition, you can try to hit the previous circular impressions already imprinted into the desk. This is superb fun, and much more important than verb conjugation.

I did win some ribbons for contests and games held at the end of the school year. This was usually races or other types of physical competitions. This was stopped by about the four or fifth grade, I think (~1964).

-Zeno

SossMan
08-10-2004, 05:53 PM
I don't remember winning anything, but I had a ton of CERTIFICATES OF PARTICIPATION.

side note:
Why do people always blame the fat kid when someone farted?

BeerMoney
08-10-2004, 06:23 PM
When I was in HS the hottest girl in the school thought I was funny. To this day, she is the best looking woman I've ever seen in my entire life.

Boris
08-10-2004, 06:53 PM
this only counts as an accolade if you tickled more than just her funnybone.

BeerMoney
08-10-2004, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this only counts as an accolade if you tickled more than just her funnybone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have rented a billboard and let the whole state know if I did. Just a guy without the guts to make a move.

Mahoney
08-10-2004, 07:08 PM
My senior year of high school I was tied for most days tardy. The other "winner" was my buddy that drove.

Malarky
08-10-2004, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My senior year of high school I was tied for most days tardy. The other "winner" was my buddy that drove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome bro. I had the record for unexcused absences. On two different years.

gonores
08-10-2004, 08:04 PM
I was the first and only recipient of a ticket from my town's "Daytime Curfew" law.

The Dude
08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers:

"Your kid may be an honor student, but you're a fucking moron."

BadBoyBenny
08-10-2004, 09:21 PM
One of my buddies in high school set the state record in PA, 117 out of 180 days. Of course they counted showing up 1 hour late as a half day missed...

jagoff
08-10-2004, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, how do you get "secretary" wrong? I was school spelling bee champ 3 years running in 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, the last of which I was also district champ, eventually getting knocked out in regionals on the word "liaison." I won a t-shirt and a thesaurus, yippee.

Ever watch the Spelling Bee Finals on ESPN? Now there's high drama; a kid fainted on stage this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know!! Kids got it easy these days. All I had was a dad that called me an idiot when I misspelled a word. Now they got the Internet and everything else to help them along. I am a bitter, unhappy man!

"Back in my day we didn't have fancy schmancy hair driers. If you wanted your hair dried you stuck your head out of the window during a hurricane and if a piece of wood went through you head you went around saying 'Oh me, oh my! Look at me I'm a human shish kabob (sp?)!' That was the way it was and we liked it"

mmcd
08-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Through lots of hard work, and a relentless tenacity, I actually managed to make my male 6th grade teacher cry.

Ahh those were the days

The Dude
08-11-2004, 02:10 AM
Well done, my friend. Well done.

EdSchurr
08-11-2004, 02:51 AM
7th Grade - One of three winners (one for each period) of the Scholastic Academic Achievement Award.
8th-12th Grade - Honour roll every term (two per year).
8th-12th Grade - Very few Merit awards for hard work.
11th-12th Grade - Computer Science awards (one of two or three it varied, iirc).

In the Grade 12 BC Provincial Exams I got merely 70% or so in Physics 12, got roughly 93% in Math 12, 84% in History 12, and 80% in English 12.

In the first year of college I dropped out of comp sci in the second semester, because it was so boring and I decided to change programs. In the first semester I had 90%s in the comp sci stuff, 50%s in the math (but I missed my finals so it isn't so terrible... would have had 90% and 80% assuming I got my average marks on the exams), and 90%s in English and Chinese.

I think I'm fairly smart, but if I don't apply myself at all my marks depend on whether or not the material is really soft or if I already know it. I need some self control.

I'll be a career janitor if I'm not careful.

But on the other hand, I was a kick-ass Counter Strike beta player!

As an aside: there is stupid system in BC now where students can't be immediately punished for not handing assignments in. The due date is now a week before report cards. That didn't help my laziness at all. I did all my English 12 essays in the night before the last day they were accepted! Caffeine-induced tinnitus is interesting btw.