PDA

View Full Version : Aint no sunshine when shes gone

cianosheehan
08-10-2004, 09:37 AM
How do relationships, or lack of (in my case), effect your game?

Mayhap
08-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I by no means deign to pontificate but humbly submit an opinion:
We can always have and maintain a relationship with God, after that, nothing else really matters.
/M

jagoff
08-10-2004, 10:10 AM
When a certain lady pisses me off I notice that my game goes into hyper aggressive mode!

daryn
08-10-2004, 10:39 AM
i haven't not had a girl for so long, but i imagine if i got rid of her my net profits would skyrocket.

cardcounter0
08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
I always play better when my pipes have been recently cleaned.

CollegePlayer
08-10-2004, 11:26 AM
christ.

CollegePlayer
08-10-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] poker. Find a beach, some booze and lament to the moon and shoreline.

Sponger15SB
08-10-2004, 11:30 AM
well my girlfriend always gets pissed off when i'm playing poker because i don't really have time to talk to her that much.

so if anything relationships affect my poker

Rah
08-10-2004, 11:53 AM
My lady has started to encourage my poker since I took her out on a $150 dollar dinner, paid by fishes and bonuses. The trick is to spend 5-10% of your winnings on the girlfriend, and your winnings will accelerate. This is called the 5 and 10 rule.

Mayhap
08-10-2004, 12:11 PM
I'll see your christ and raise you a buddha.
/M

Geo
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Its funny how the wife always complained I played to much poker untill I started to pay bills with my winnings, havent had a moan from her for months.

Mayhap
08-10-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
havent had a moan from her for months

[/ QUOTE ]
found other fields to plow have ye?
/M

scotnt73
08-10-2004, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
havent had a moan from her for months

[/ QUOTE ]
found other fields to plow have ye?
/M

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao you beat me to it.

whiskeytown
08-10-2004, 02:47 PM
certain players (notably MS Sunshine) mentioned two yrs ago when my best relationship went in the toilet that I went on "tilt" mode so to speak -

of course, drinking heavily for 2 yrs didn't help - but for some sad reason, neither has relationships I've established since then...

RB

offTopic
08-10-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Improvement, but I'm only a recreational player.

I have less time to play since I've been in a relationship, so I think my play has been more focused. Overall, total $$$ are down, but BB/hr and BB/100 hands are way up. I've only played about 20,000 hands this year, though, so I may just be running good.

Sundevils21
08-10-2004, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll see your christ and raise you a buddha.
/M

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. thats a string raise. You said "i'll see" therefore you must only call Christ and cannot raise Budda. Good day sir!!!

fnord_too
08-10-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I occasionally find myself off my game (sometimes significantly) if my wife and I are at odds. Also, it makes things difficult when I know she is not thrilled with the amount of time I play. I have tried to play more when she is asleep, and shun the game whenever she wants to do something, which means passing up some nice opportunities.

On the other hand, I am undoubtedly more grounded and emotionally stable due to my wife and daughter. (I don't play when my 1 year old daughter is awake, but you didn't ask about kids' impact). I am happier for having a family, and that certainly improves my game.

On the whole, I think a healthy relationship is good for your game. If my wife would consent to learn poker, I know my game would improve at a faster rate, but even so I'd have to say she's +EV /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fitz
08-10-2004, 05:39 PM
I've been involved in a sometimes difficult, often aggravating relationship for a long time now, and I know it has affected my play at times. I've finally gotten to the point where if she is "in my head" I don't play. It took a long time to come to that decision, but it is definitely right for me. I really do believe we have to be in the right mental frame of mind to play this game properly. If it is a woman, a job problem, family problem or just indigestion that is distracting you and making you play less than your "A" game, don't play.

Good luck all,

Fitz

theBruiser500
08-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Daryn, what would happen if you girlfriend read this? Heh, I particularly like how you say it "if i got rid of her".

cianosheehan
08-11-2004, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it is a woman, a job problem, family problem or just indigestion that is distracting you and making you play less than your "A" game, don't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but I certainly find it alot easier said than done. I know that when I am happier, I play better. And happier is not what I have been as of late. In saying that I do have a lot more time on my hands. But I think its probably too early to say how it is effecting my game. I certainly dont like playing when she is "in my head", because my mind is dismissing the importance of poker or something. However, when I make a decision to play poker, and I know I am under distraction, I tend to not let that stop me, thinking there is money waiting to be made. This is a fault, and Id like to change it. Also, what would then happen, say if I lost for that session is I would either be annoyed for allowing myself to play under less than desirable psychological conditions, or be annoyed at poker in general. If my mind was clear, I would be able to see through the fog the girl left behind. Another thing I have been cautious of is using poker as an escape from woman problems. While I dont "gamble" to escape from my problems, I do find the distraction somewhat luring and comforting. This is not the poker road I want to go down.
At the end of the day though, I believe it is our personal lives that influence the path of everything else. Im not going to let poker take over my life, or become my outlet or escape for all that Im feeling. I know in time things will be ok, and everything up until that point is just another stepping stone to get there.
Peace

James Boston
08-11-2004, 08:24 AM
.....women are the rake.

Sorry.

Gamblor
08-11-2004, 09:33 AM
daryn bangs bitches.

Sponger15SB
08-11-2004, 01:02 PM
no thats fine, our bad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Easy E
08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
They affect your grammar and vocabulary choices, evidently.

Easy E
08-11-2004, 02:15 PM
standard 3x raise

Easy E
08-11-2004, 02:16 PM
be original for Christ's sake (or Buddha's, for that matter)

James Boston
08-11-2004, 05:09 PM
I was eluding to the fact that someone always has to quote Rounders. I didn't think anyone would deem me clever for coming up with that.