PDA

View Full Version : Internet Coaches with Big Mouths

ZootMurph
08-10-2004, 08:29 AM
How many people here have had some guy/gal at a table constantly berate you and other players telling everyone how bad they are and then challenging everyone to a heads up game?

It happened to me yesterday, so I told the guy I'd play him heads up whenever he wanted. He then began to say "I can't now, how about later." Then he gives me a time and says he wants to play NL with $1k buyin. I say "Sounds good, I'll be there." The mouth never shows up.

Anyway, I have him on my buddy list. I find him this morning and go to his table, and he disappears instantaneously.

Is this annoying, or just plain funny?

Matty
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this annoying, or just plain funny?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes

Poker Jet
08-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Keep it up and keep us informed... idiots like this kill fish ponds.

Yod
08-11-2004, 02:40 AM
Ya ,used to be this idiot I played against at True Poker named Mavericka ,it was like going fishing with a gun nut.He'd fire off round after round until all the fish swam away.I would tell this idiot till I was blue in the face how bad for business it was.Pissed off just thinking about that tard /images/graemlins/mad.gif

spacemonkey57
08-11-2004, 10:16 AM
I had an idiot at a sit n go the other day complain because he raised to 40 when the BB was 10 and got 7 calls. He berated everyone at the table for calling a bet that was bigger than the pot. I didn't want to get into it with him about how a bet of 40 when everyone has 1000 chips isn't going to drive anybody with a playable hand out.

LinusKS
08-11-2004, 12:26 PM
People who give advice at the tables are always morons.

My most recent encounter was with a guy who waxed poetic in his creative use of obscenities in the chat screen, because I wasn't cooperating in knocking the short-stack out.

I don't think it ever occurred to him that as the big stack 4-handed in an sng, I didn't want the the short stack out.

Of course, he wound up going out fourth himself.

Lori
08-11-2004, 12:31 PM
I've only ever had one of these people accept a HU challenge.

Thankfully the deck hit me hard and he vanished without trace as he got an urgent phone call (Probably from VISA)

Lori

MiloBloom72
08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who give advice at the tables are always morons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's been my experience so far. My favorite was playing a penny table at UB and one guy came in and there were several hands with a lot of raising and capped bets preflop, and he kept complaining about it & saying it was stupid to raise so much & you couldn't play poker like that. I usually just keep my mouth shut (except to say "ty" to "nh" which I find tacky but seems rude to just ignore it) but this time I finally couldn't resist saying if he didn't like it there were other tables. He hung around for a while longer though... I think a couple other people raised when they normally wouldn't have just to bait him.

Beavis68
08-11-2004, 02:32 PM
They aren't all morons (I hope). Most of them are relatively new, and want to show how much they think they know - a dangerous mix or arrogance and ignorance.

I know, I used to be one of these guys. "Why don't these people recognize my masterful play? Why are they staying in for my 3xBB opening raise with Q-10?" Fortunately, I have begun a recoverry program, and I am much better about it now.

now I just leave it at a "wtf?"

I have never challanged anyone to a heads-up match though. Funny how some moron playing a 5+.50 sit-n-go sudduenly wants to play a $50 heads-up tournament.

I always tell them to go have a seat, and I will join them rigt away - they usually stfu.

drewjustdrew
08-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Eventually you will learn to stop putting "wtf" down too. It serves no advantage. If you must vent, open a word document and write "wtf". That way people will not see your frustration.

J.R.
08-11-2004, 02:51 PM
"now I just leave it at a "wtf?""

buy a cat.

Robert Ezzo
08-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Had a SNG like that last night - where one "helpful" player kept getting angrier and angrier everytime they got outplayed. The more agitated they got, the more I realized how easy it would be to take their chips, so I don't complain too loudly. :-)

Rooster71
08-11-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Had a SNG like that last night - where one "helpful" player kept getting angrier and angrier everytime they got outplayed. The more agitated they got, the more I realized how easy it would be to take their chips, so I don't complain too loudly. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]
I like to feed the mouth's ego with statements like "you're the greatest, I've seen you play before." I think this helps them further destruct. Then they will give away even more chips.

Simon Diamond
08-11-2004, 05:30 PM
It happened to me yesterday, so I told the guy I'd play him heads up whenever he wanted. He then began to say "I can't now, how about later." Then he gives me a time and says he wants to play NL with $1k buyin. I say "Sounds good, I'll be there." The mouth never shows up.

Grudge matches, not good for your sanity.

Better to learn to chill and let those kind of morons self destruct.

Simon

ismisus
08-11-2004, 05:47 PM
I just criticize the hell out of those helpers. Often my criticism isn't even correct, but it keeps the fish in.

For instance, "How could raise on a draw?!", "Didn't you see that your 2-pair was beat?"
P.S I still don't know if I am a fish or not.

Simon Diamond
08-11-2004, 05:58 PM
You'd do better to concentrate on your own game and forget the bs on the chat line. That's the way I look at it.

Simon