PDA

View Full Version : Vegas trip report (Aug 7-9) looooong

jfresh
08-10-2004, 07:51 AM
My friend and I decided to book a trip to vegas for some hardcore poker action. We've been playing a lot for the past few weeks live (we're from Los Angeles), and were pretty juiced for Bellagio/Mirage. Decide to hit up 15/30, 20/40, which we've done before, and venture into 30/60 for the first time if the water looked good. Also, we are adding up our net profit/loss and splitting it right down the middle.

We get into Las Vegas at around 11pm, Saturday night, are seated at the tables in Bellagio a bit past midnight. We both start off with 15/30. I can't recall the specific details (we played a whole lot of poker this weekend), but I end up 50, and my friend drops around 300. We decide we need a change of scenery, so we get some food at around 3am and go to the Mirage.

There, we sit at the two seperate 20/40 games going. I can't catch a card to save my life, and find myself quickly 800 in the hole. As morning comes, most people at the table leave, and we find ourselves 3 handed for the final hour or so. One player is very solid, and the other is quite LAG-gy. I get lucky near the end of the session, and end up down only 200. My friend on the other hand, ends up losing his entire buy in of 1000. We stumble over to our hotel, Bally's, at 8am, down 1450 as a whole.

To make matters worse, we attempt to check into our room, but are informed we can't until 11am. We decide we need to find somewhere to pass out, and figure the pool is our best chance. On the way to the pool, we pass some blackjack tables..... to make a long story short, I dropped around 400 at the tables, to a dealer who hit every card in the deck when she needed to. I'm talkin 6 showing, 5 under, hitting a 10... blackjack over blackjack... 21's over 20's. 6 other people played within the hour or less I was there... everyone walked away broke.

I finally make my way over to the pool, pass out for 3 hours, then we check into our hotel, and pass out til 5pm. We get up, find some food, and go over to the Bellagio. I start off at the 15/30's and then make my jump into the 30/60's soon after. They looked pretty juicy; they had 4 tables going, and the one I was at was probably the fishiest; there had to have been 30-40k at the table. Around 10,000 was in front of the worst player, who apparently did something to make the turn and river gods very happy, because he could not miss on them. One particular hand blew my mind: 3 players saw a flop of T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Fish was sandwiched between two players who CAPPED the flop (5 bets). For those not keeping track, that means he had to have called two bets cold TWICE. Turn comes J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. One bet, two callers. River A /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Same bettor who bet the whole way bets out, Fish calls.... Third player thinks for a minute or two and mucks. Results in white:
<font color="white"> Bettor had 3h 3c for flopped set. Fish had KQ of HEARTS. mucker had 2s 2h, which ended up being the winning hand with a 2s flush. </font> Anyway,I don't know what was going through his mind on the flop...

As I sit down, I am pretty nervous, playing 30/60 for the first time (though I had played 40/80 on two occasions... I have no idea why I thought I had a bankroll for that. it was a while ago though). First orbit, a few hands in, I am mid-early position. Look down, I see JJ. I'm not very happy, as this table doesn't respect any preflop raising, and I'm pretty sure my jacks won't hold up. I do the whole preflop raise anyway, get 5 callers. Flops comes ace high,I bet out, get raised and I get outta there. Very next hand... look down, and see JJ once again. Raise preflop... once again ace high flop. it gets checked to me, I bet out, everyone folds but the BB and UTG. Turn is another ace, and UTG bets out.... I have no read on anyone yet... it smells vageuly of a bluff to me, but decide to fold. BB calls, and I think I safely folded a losing hand. River comes rag, and it gets checked by both playesr.... damn. UTG had 95s and flopped middle pair. He for sure knew he made me fold a pocket pair bigger than that, and smugly pushes his cards and tip to the dealer. I kick myself for being so weak, but knew I had to brush it off.

So next hand. I'm UTG by now. Look down. JJ AGAIN. I visibly am agitated, but I really can't do anything but raise with it preflop. However, the combination of me raising 3 times in a row, and the loose-ness of the table in general, gets me still 5 callers. Flop once again comes ace high. I bet, few callers , few folders. Turn, I bet again, get check raised by the same guy who put a move on me last hand. Obviously he's not putting the same move on me two times in a row, but in the spur of the moment, I decide I need to take a stand, and call him down. He ends up having A6o for two pair. Wonderful. One orbit in, and I'm down over 600, and pretty much terribly f*cked up two hands in a row.

A while later, I work my way back up a few hundred, and see KK in the SB. There are 6(!) limpers, so I just complete, with intentions of trying to check raise the flop to get people out. Flop is J52 rainbow. I am quite happy with this flop, as it is relatively drawless, and puts little possibility of two pair out there. Flop is bet and raised by two people in late position. I 3bet, everyone folds but the original raiser, and the button. Button 4bets, and I call. Turn comes Q, and I check raise the button. He thinks for a bit, looks like he calls begrudgingly, and says "nice hand". I think I have the hand won, as the river comes a deuce, and I bet out, and he thinks for at least a minute. He calls and shows.... 55 for 5's full. I look at him and asks him what he was thinking about... he thought I had a set of J's or quad 2's. I don't know how convinced he was, but I wish he had mucked his hand.

Later on, after mucking 53o, Q3o, etc repeatedly, I get AQs in mid position. Same 55 guy next to me raises preflop, and I just call. table tightened up a little, and only 4 to the flop. Flop comes A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and another small diamond, and a rag. He bets out, I raise, and he calls. Turn comes Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, giving me two pair. He checks to me, and I bet. He moans "Oh man, you made you flush didn't you..." but calls anyway. River comes another raggedy diamond. he checks and I check. He shows 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for a flush. I am just speechless, as I thought he'd at LEAST have an ace. His turn reasoning blew my mind... an Ace and a Queen out there, he thinks I made my flush, I show significant strength... and calls the turn bet anyway.

A few hours later, the table tightens up considerably, as the big fish left with his 10k. I decide to get a table change. As 1am rolls around, I find myself down 1500, playing on my last 1000 I have (my friend borrowed some money). The table I am at is not completely fishy, but definitely beatable with a few calling stations. I find myself in late position with, what else, JJ. I raise, button calls, two blinds call. flops comes 565 black. checkd to me, I bet, BB checkraises... I think he is rather fishy, so I 3bet.... he comes right back and 4bets me. Just my luck with JJ, never wins. By now it is heads up. Turn comes the beautiful J, giving me J's full. He bets out, I raise. He looks puzzled, and 3bets me. I 4bet him and with a confused/angry look he calls. River he check calls and MHIG. He never showed his hand, but you gotta love the suck/resucks. Especially when they win you $1000 pots. A few pots later I am sittin pretty, almost back at even. My friend however has lost almost everything he had plus some, and wants to leave and do something else for a bit.

So I play up to the blinds, and what do I see but AA UTG for my last hand. I had announced I was going to leave, and as I raised, everyone's like "you gotta raise your last hand huh" and I just nod and smile. mid position calls, button 3bets and I just smooth call, planning on raising the flop. Flop comes J84 of some sorts. two diamonds. I bet out, the two guys call. I put the button on a high PP, and I figured he'd raise the flop and I could 3bet... that didnt work out, damn. Turn comes 6. I bet out again, and now the button raises me. For reasons I don't understand now, I now put the guy on trip J's... Somewhat because I running bad, also I figure turn raises are usually very strong when another player has already shown strength... however I forgot that I really hadn't shown strength, as I only smooth called his preflop bet. Now I know I must must must 3bet there... if not to get that flush draw out. Anyway I just call, and middle position calls. River comes 5. Board is J8465, no flush posibilities. As long as the button didn't have JJ, I'm pretty sure I had the pot won. All of a sudden, middle position bets out. HOW IN THE WORLD DID HE HAVE 7 IN HIS HAND??? I am thinking. button thinks and then folds, and I reluctantly call. He shows 77 for the straight. Button ended up have QQ. I pick up my chips, now down 550, when I should be up a few hundred. As we leave the Bellagio, I am kicking myself for the next few hours until we get to bed. Assessing the total damages for the trip, my friend and I are down $3200 total, including blackjack. A sucessful vegas trip looked extremely grim.

We get up at 11am to check out. Grab some food, and head over to Bellagio once again for a do-or-die final session. There is a 30/60 game just starting up when we get there and I grab a seat. My friend gets a seat in the nearby 15/30. We each buy in for a rack; pretty much everything we got. My table is apparently full of vegas regulars; they know the floormen/women, the waitresses, and each other. One or two fish sit down, and we are playing shorthanded for the first few orbits. I get some pretty decent cards, win the first 3 big pots I am in, and am up ~700. Not bad. better than losing... Then I get aces in mid position, still shorthanded. an UTG raise, I 3bet, button fish calls 3 bets cold. Flop comes KQJ I bet, button raises. I just call. Turn comes ace. Now I have trips, but the obvious straight is out there, so I just check call the rest of the way. button ends up showing KTo for the straight. He called 3 bets stone cold with KTo. This hand kind of helped me get over last night's debacle of not 3betting my Aces to get 77 out; its amazing what people will call with once they get their minds set on it. The table eventually fills up.

One particular hand of note. I had KQo in mid position. I open-limp in, cutoff raises, a blind calls, and I call. Flop comes K63 rainbow. I check raise the preflop raiser. He thinks for a second, says "I don't like check-raises." and 3 bets me. Now, I'm pretty mad for a) not open-raising, b) even playing KQo. I figure the guy's got AK or aces, but he wasn't particular tight or good so I am set on calling him down. Turn comes 5, river comes 9. He turns over his cards confidently on the river, and I expect see AK or AA... Nope. "Straight, I got lucky" He shows 78s for absolutely nothing on the flop but backdoor straight and flush draws. I was pretty bewildered to say the least.

One more short hand of note... I got 75s in the BB, early position, kind of LAG-gy player raises confidently, one caller. Up to me, I think for a moment and fold. I told myself as soon as the guy raised-two callers and I'm in. I like 75s in the blind, but one caller I figure isn't giving me the odds. Flop comes K74, 4 in my suit. Flop is checked around. Turn comes 6 in my suit. check-bet-call. River comes.... 3 in my suit, for a straight flush. Check-bet-call. EP shows a weakly played QQ, and MP shows 75 of hearts for the straight... Wish I had called.... anyone call that?

Anyway, a few hands later I find myself back even, and hover around there until dinner time (Bellagio Buffet... mmmm). At dinner, my friend and I reassess where we're at... He has won around 800 back, and I was up around 200 or 300. So down 2100 for the trip.. not good, but better than down 3200. Back to the tables at 6pm. We have a flight to catch at 8:50pm, so the gives us around 2 hours to play.

Table by now has been kind of iffy. I had seen 7 to a flop several times. Someone had raised 56o in EP. UTG limps with 57s. Several blind chops. So the table has been everything from tight, loose, aggressive, passive. anything can happen on any flop. Biggest hand of the trip: KQo in SB... a few limpers, and a late position raise by someone I didn't particularly respect. I call, and EP 3bets. all calls. 7 players to the flop. Flop comes Q54. Top pair, not bad... Seems that EP has something decent to be limp-reraising, but who knows with this table; the last time he had done it on the flop with AKs and the nut flush draw. I decide to check raise him, to see where he's at, and to try and get some players out. However, my plan blows up in my face as the two guys (who have turned into huge calling stations now) call two cold, and then the original bettor 3 bets me. 5 of us see the turn, which is a rag. Check to the better, who bets and 3 callers including me. River comes the beautiful Q. I immediately bet out, two players fold, and the better picks his cards up, and in a fit of rage, throws them in the muck -"the only card that can help you! unbelievable!" Immediately he realizes he should have called in my bet in a $1500 pot, and begs to see my hand. I am leaving soon, so I show him. Not sure if he had KK or AA, but I was drawing quite slim.... Pot of the weekend brings me up around 1000... One of the last hands I play I get KK. BB calls me, and the flop is 3bet, and he calls me down the rest of the way for a solid 700 pot to end it all.

When all was said and done and the smoke cleared, my friend and I had won the entire 3200 back the last day. He was up 1300 at 15/30 and I ended up 1900. Even though we were probably down a few bucks here or there, and didn't cover our expenses, it felt like a victory to dig ourselves out of that humongous hole. Someone at my first 30/60 table was saying he was up 4000 at one point during his session; he ended even or even down a few hundo. I think goin up then down hurts a lot more then going down then up. I'd like to go up and up one trip though... Hopefully that'll happen next time.

I know I made some iffy plays sometimes... my 3 JJ's in a row were all terrible, but I'd like to chalk that up to butterflies playing a new limit. I dunno about calling KQo down til the river with someone showing so much strength... but I think the size of the pot warranted it that time, even if I was drawing to 2-5 outs; the pot was 1200+ before the turn. KQo openlimping is probably debateable too... but overall I'm happy with the way I played and the way things turned out. By the end of the trip, 30/60 was pretty comfortable to me... Hopefully next time we'll be in the black playing it.