PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here stake?

Emoney
08-10-2004, 05:45 AM
This is my first post, but i've been reading here for quite a while. i'm in the process of looking for a stake to solidify my bankroll. a friend of mine said that people here will stake on occasion so i figured there's no harm in asking. i'm in a bit of a unique situation. i had just built up my bankroll to a little under 5,200 but had some big expenses come up rather quickly that forced me to take 3000 out. my situation doesn't make sense without some back story. it may get long so hopefully you can bear with me.

i'm 22 and in my last year of college at the university of washington. i've been playing for about 4 years now, but only seriously for about 15 months, with only 8 of those months as a winning player. i had spent last fall going to school in my hometown of anchorage, ak rather than in seattle to help my parents out a little bit with the business and to help my sister in her first year of college. i was slated to go back to uw in january to start winter quarter, but my parents wanted me to stay and finish in anchorage. this wasn't what was agreed upon earlier and it led to pretty big disagreement between me and my parents. they tried to force me to stay by playing the money card. so if i wanted to go back to my school and finish then i would not only have to pay my own way, but also pay off the 20K in student debt i had already accumulated. so i went ahead and paid off the debt using my savings as well as the 11k i had won playing in the party 10/20 game. this left me completely broke, but gave me freedom to do what i felt i needed to do.

i was able to borrow a few thousand from some friends of mine to get a lease started in seattle and keep me on my feet until i could find work. i found work pretty quickly, doing clerical work for a friend of a friend who is a lawyer. they call it clerical, but i'm really just the office go-fer. but it pays decent enough to pay the bills. but just paying the bills wasn't getting it done. i needed to be able to put money away to furnish my apartment and pay for later tuition. i added 25 hours on the weekend at the local golf course after a few weeks.

65 hours a week wasn't all that much fun, but it wasn't killing me. what i really wanted to do was play poker, but i couldn't put any money into starting a bankroll because every dollar i made was earmarked for something like a couch or table for my extremely bare apartment. even currently there's little more than my futon. not to mention that i had to pay back the 3 thousand that i had borrowed to get started with.

so after a few paychecks i was out of the hole with my friends and i wanted to play poker. i looked for a stake in a lot of different places including asking my favorite pro. you can imagine my surprise when he said yes. he started me out with 1500. with all the hours i was working i didn't have a lot of time to play, along with the fact that i didn't have a computer much less internet access at home. but in the limited hours i had i got myself to the campus computer labs and played as many hours as i could. a few successful weeks later i quit the golf course job while keeping the 9-5er. the extra hours allowed me to make enough money to pay the staker back as well as build up my bankroll to the previously mentioned 5200. playing 3/6 then 5/10 then 10/20 and taking occasional stabs at 15/30.

unfortunately i got notice from school that my lab access would be ending because i wasn't registered for fall quarter. so i had to buck up and get a computer for home, along with internet. since the cable company here packages the internet and cable tv and i had planned to get cable tv in future anyway i decided to just do it now rather than later. so i had to take a good chunk of change out of my bankroll to pay for a nice comp, a tv, the startup costs of the cable tv/internet, and of course the added bill.

so now my bankroll sits at 2300. under 300BB at the 5/10 level. i wanted to find out if there's anyone out there who can help me out and give my bankroll the stablity to play where i'm the most comfortable (10/20). i've gotten and given a 100 percent return to my last stake and feel i can do the same for anyone else. i don't want to ask the same person again because i want to keep that person as a mentor and don't want to alienate him when he was nice enough to go out on a limb for me.

i don't really want to keep playing the low limit game. it's forumulaic and a grind, but more because of the time i'll have to put in again. i have good results but the variance can be so irritating. staying at the 3/6 or 5/10 level would mean that i would have to spend quite a while building my bankroll again before i had any serious income potential. and i don't really want to go through it again since i had just gone through it recently.

if anyone feels compelled to help me or want to know more about me then let me know. you can post or private message me. i'm a solid 10/20 player. i've had some decent results when i try 15/30, but the sample size is admittedly small. i've put in my time being a fish, learning the game and building myself a roll. i've read more than a few of the standard books. other than working 9-5 i'm pretty much going to be playing all the time since i've devoted the rest of this calendar year (and probably more) to saving money to finish school. i may try to become a pro when i'm done with school, but i don't want to make that decision now. part time seems to work well.

if this isn't something that's done here then just disregard with my apology. but i had heard that it was. so i figured i would ask. this forums has really helped me look at a lot of hands from different angles and i think that's an important part of the game. so maybe it can help me in a different way. anyone?

Schneids
08-10-2004, 06:36 AM
You will run into one major problem here: You're new and have no longterm credibility, both in terms of honesty and skill-assessment.

I would recommend beginning by at least revealing the alias you play on in Party. If it is Party 10/20 6-max then I have probably played with you plenty and could at least make a statement about your skill level, as could many other posters.

Being realistic, it probably won't help you get any backing. However, it is a starting ground if there are in fact willing individuals out there willing to help you and willing to put up a risk to earn some more money -- since it is in fact true there are some individuals on this board who have staked other posters.

TrickyTree
08-10-2004, 07:30 AM
i really think you should just concentrate on building your own bankroll back up. if you are a winning player then this will be no problem at all to you. As far as i can see you have more than enough money, baring something really unfortunate, to start at 5/10 and build your way back up to 15/30. You should be able to do this in a couple of months or so. Why be indebted to others?

steamboatin
08-10-2004, 07:32 AM
I am a cynical old poop, if this board has helped him so much why us this his first post?

Maybe I should stay out of it, because I'd stake a vampire but no one else.

dogmeat
08-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you. Good luck in your poker playing future. Now:

You are NOT in a unique situation, 99% of all players (winners and losers) have situations that come up and force them to deplete their bankrolls. That is called life. Welcome to the real world after college.

You have a bankroll of $2300? What's wrong with playing 3 tables of $3/6? If you are such a terrific player, you should make between $10 and $15 per hour per game, or $45 per hour total. Whats the problem? 200 hours gets you up to $11K. No problem.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

J.A.Sucker
08-10-2004, 04:34 PM
2200 is plenty of money for the 5/10 6 max tables if you're an excellent player. You can build back up from nothing in a pretty short time these days - trust me, I know.

Tosh
08-10-2004, 04:51 PM
You run a decent chance of ruin with that low a bankroll at 5/10.

J.A.Sucker
08-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Not me. You might, however.

Edit: Besides, this isn't very much money, anyway. If he goes broke, he can easily work a second, crappy job and make some extra dough to build back up. Likewise, he could step down in limit. At the 5/10 level (6 max), if you're an excellent player, the swings are not very big, and much smaller than the 10/20 swings, which has a smaller proportional edge and higher aggression from your opponents (i.e. higher variance). If you play very well, then 2500 is plenty of money in this game. Most people don't play as well as they think.

Tosh
08-10-2004, 05:40 PM
In fact, forget it.

Emoney
08-10-2004, 06:06 PM
hey everyone,

thanks for the responses so far. i understand that it's my first post so it'll naturally draw skepticism. if i had a way to verify myself i would surely do it. but i can't really think of a way. perhaps have another 2+2er that i know vouch for me. my party name is edkim2, but you likely have not seen me at the 6max tables. i almost always play the full games. i didn't want to deal with the 6-max variance while i was building my roll. and my knowledge of shorthanded play isn't as complete as i'd like it to be relative to my knowledge of full game play.

i'm not making claims to be a fantastic or terrific player, but i am on average a winning one. my issue isn't that i need the money per se, because as some of you mentioned, i do still have some roll left. but rather that i'm anxious to move out of this portion of my life. i've lived broke for the last 8 months for the first time in my life and if i have to build my roll again then i'll see none of the profits for quite a while. a few months is a long time when you're turning 23 in a few weeks and want to graduate college before too much time goes by. i guess you could say i saw the light at the end of the tunnel and got excited.

i understand that my situation may not be completely unique. but if you guys saw my apartment before last week you would laugh. it was no more than my futon and some things for the kitchen. i've sacrificed a lot in the last year to get to my goals. but now it just looks like it's going to take longer.

i figure relative to some amounts, it's not that much money. maybe someone could help me. the worst thing that could happen would be me being in the same situation as before, so i might as well try.

joker122
08-10-2004, 06:07 PM
lol

GuyOnTilt
08-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey Emoney,

I'm afraid you're probably not going to find anybody to stake you here. Like Schneids said, you have no credibility here, so I doubt anybody's going to be willing to risk the money. I'm currently staking two 2+2 posters, but they're posters that I know and trust and am confident would be significant winners in games higher than they were currently at but would be able to with my added money. Your situation is a lot different and I wouldn't get your hopes up.

i don't really want to keep playing the low limit game. it's forumulaic and a grind

If you think that playing 15/30 and higher isn't, you're very wrong.

build up my bankroll to the previously mentioned 5200. playing 3/6 then 5/10 then 10/20 and taking occasional stabs at 15/30.

I would not want, nor would I encourage anybody else, to stake anybody who would sit 15/30 with $5200. Stakers (well, at least me) want their investments to be low-risk and high-return.

My advice would be for you to build up your own roll by playing 3/6 and 5/10. If you think you would still want to be staked a few months down the road, start posting here and build up some credibility and then -maybe- somebody would be willing to stake you given enough time. I really doubt anybody would right now though, but like you said there's no harm in asking. Best of luck to you.

GoT

djack
08-10-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so after a few paychecks i was out of the hole with my friends and i wanted to play poker. i looked for a stake in a lot of different places including asking my favorite pro. you can imagine my surprise when he said yes. he started me out with 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can verify this part of his story with about a 95% confidence rate.

Emoney
08-10-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Emoney,

I'm afraid you're probably not going to find anybody to stake you here. Like Schneids said, you have no credibility here, so I doubt anybody's going to be willing to risk the money. I'm currently staking two 2+2 posters, but they're posters that I know and trust and am confident would be significant winners in games higher than they were currently at but would be able to with my added money. Your situation is a lot different and I wouldn't get your hopes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew it was a long shot going in. my hopes aren't up by any means. i'll get along either way. it would be a favor more than a necessity.

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that playing 15/30 and higher isn't, you're very wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't it's still a grind, but i'm sure you know the gist of what i'm saying.

[ QUOTE ]
I would not want, nor would I encourage anybody else, to stake anybody who would sit 15/30 with $5200. Stakers (well, at least me) want their investments to be low-risk and high-return.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i say occasional, i mean really occasionally. as in one buy-in maybe once a week. i wasn't a "15/30 player" by any means.

[ QUOTE ]
My advice would be for you to build up your own roll by playing 3/6 and 5/10. If you think you would still want to be staked a few months down the road, start posting here and build up some credibility and then -maybe- somebody would be willing to stake you given enough time. I really doubt anybody would right now though, but like you said there's no harm in asking. Best of luck to you.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the words. i'm sure that's the road i'll be going on. but if i do build my own roll i don't think i'll be looking for a stake considering.

Monty Cantsin
08-10-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently staking two 2+2 posters, but they're posters that I know and trust and am confident would be significant winners in games higher than they were currently at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I thought we agreed to keep our arrangement secret.

/mc

MrPoker
08-11-2004, 05:39 AM
I will be happy to stake you just as soon as I sell the toll bridge I purchased last year from someone in a chat room.

turnipmonster
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
I disagree, and think you should repost this in the shorthanded forum and see if anyone at all there thinks 2200 is enough for the 5/10 6 max. 220 big bets in a shorthanded limit game is low. find me one good shorthanded player (who is not also you /images/graemlins/smile.gif )who thinks 220 BB is enough roll. your ROR with 220 BB in any shorthanded game is not trivial.

--turnipmonster

J.A.Sucker
08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
I know what you are saying, and 2200 is a little short, but not terrible. I have a good feeling (and statistics) that something like 2500 is enough for those games to ensure a reasonable chance of survival. If things get tough, then play some 3/6. The parlay of going broke at both is actually very small.

FWIW, I think that many posters in the SH forum play too aggressively for a 6-handed game, and that's why their swings are so high; mine are actually pretty low in the 5-10 game. This is gambling, after all, and you have to decide how much risk is acceptable for you. If this were 25000 and not 2500, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you (given the same game conditions), but the fact is, it's not very hard for ANYONE to scrape together a thousand or so if they really need it. Also, I know that people would be shocked as to how small my flucuations are in the 5/10 game at Party, but that's all I will say about it, since I'm not into this stats thing. People are litterally giving their money away in these games, so you don't really need much money to take it yourself. If you are constantly swinging through huge sums, then you could probably do with making some changes (tightening up from the $2 SB is probably #1). In the 10-20, the swings are muuuuch higher, as the players are (1) better and (2) much more willing to make raises on big streets (these aren't one in the same, necessarily).

jujujaja34
08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I've played a ton at the 5-10 6max and J.A. is right on the money. The game is so much more passive than the 10-20 that for a good player the swings are very minimal. FWIW, for my last 50,000 hands 55BB is my worst downswing. The difference between the 5-10 and 10-20 short really is night and day. As far as bankroll requirements for the two...for a good player (2+BB/100 hands) I would say 2000 is fine for the 5-10, while I'd suggest around 8000 for the 10-20.

jujujaja34

mntbikr15
08-11-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will be happy to stake you just as soon as I sell the toll bridge I purchased last year from someone in a chat room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on are comments like that really needed. He said he realizes what hes asking is a long shot.

dogmeat
08-11-2004, 08:33 PM
And this "favorite pro" is no longer intereted in staking this player?

dogmeat
08-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes, comments like this are absolutely necessary to keep people like me reading through so many threads..........without them, I would stop reading.
You need comedy and laughter when you read this stuff about poker to relieve some of the stress from playing, which as we all know is sometimes as tough as *phucking while standing up in a hammock*.

Emoney
08-11-2004, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And this "favorite pro" is no longer intereted in staking this player?

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys can let this thread die if you like. nothing has come of it so far. no biggie. but to answer the question, i don't really want to ask the pro again because i want to be able to keep him as a mentor should i go any further into poker in the future. he went out on a limb for me based on pretty much nothing except what i wrote in an email to him. it was an extremely kind act and i don't think asking for more favors is a good way to show my appreciation. same reason i'm not asking the same friends who helped me stay on my feet at the beginning of the year. they were there for me in a big way when i needed them to be. and now is not a need situation. it would be rude to ask them again.

Clarkmeister
08-12-2004, 12:25 AM
I only stake Noted Poker Authorities.

Vehn
08-12-2004, 01:05 AM
you play 5/10?

J.A.Sucker
08-12-2004, 02:16 PM
For awhile, yes. Long and unpleasant story, but true. I still play it from time to time on the internet, because I pulled a lot of money out from online. I really hate online poker, though.

Nottom
08-12-2004, 03:35 PM
2300 is way more than enough to play 3/6. I don't even think it would be too bad to sit in 5/10 full games with. Honestly, I'm not sure why you think you need a stake ... just stay away from those 15/30 "shots" for a few months and you should be fine.

nef
08-12-2004, 04:26 PM
All I know is that you could play internet poker on a $200 used PC or a $500 new one. Considering that you now are asking for a stake maybe you should have been more frugal than $3000 for PC + TV + cable.

Also, from what I've read in this thread you come across as an honest man. Unfortunately that's not enough. It is extremely difficult to determine if one is a winning player. Unless you have many 10s of thousands of hand histories in a poker tracker database I don't thing you'll have any luck with a backer. My recommendation would be to start a database, to both improve your play, and provide "proof" of your skills to any future business partners.

Emoney
08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I know is that you could play internet poker on a $200 used PC or a $500 new one. Considering that you now are asking for a stake maybe you should have been more frugal than $3000 for PC + TV + cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true, but i didn't want to buy things that i would eventually have to replace. you don't really get the value in the first one you buy. a $500 pc would definitely be fine for just poker right now. but it's not going to be good enough for practically anything else 6 months down the line. i'd just end up spending more when i got the pc i wanted. same deal with the tv. i could've got a 17 in tv to get me by, but i wasn't going to stick with it long haul. i get a new tv a few months later and i'm out the money i spent on the small one. not that i don't see your point.

CollegePlayer
08-12-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is my first post, but i've been reading here for quite a while. i'm in the process of looking for a stake to solidify my bankroll. a friend of mine said that people here will stake on occasion so i figured there's no harm in asking. i'm in a bit of a unique situation. i had just built up my bankroll to a little under 5,200 but had some big expenses come up rather quickly that forced me to take 3000 out. my situation doesn't make sense without some back story. it may get long so hopefully you can bear with me.

i'm 22 and in my last year of college at the university of washington. i've been playing for about 4 years now, but only seriously for about 15 months, with only 8 of those months as a winning player. i had spent last fall going to school in my hometown of anchorage, ak rather than in seattle to help my parents out a little bit with the business and to help my sister in her first year of college. i was slated to go back to uw in january to start winter quarter, but my parents wanted me to stay and finish in anchorage. this wasn't what was agreed upon earlier and it led to pretty big disagreement between me and my parents. they tried to force me to stay by playing the money card. so if i wanted to go back to my school and finish then i would not only have to pay my own way, but also pay off the 20K in student debt i had already accumulated. so i went ahead and paid off the debt using my savings as well as the 11k i had won playing in the party 10/20 game. this left me completely broke, but gave me freedom to do what i felt i needed to do.

i was able to borrow a few thousand from some friends of mine to get a lease started in seattle and keep me on my feet until i could find work. i found work pretty quickly, doing clerical work for a friend of a friend who is a lawyer. they call it clerical, but i'm really just the office go-fer. but it pays decent enough to pay the bills. but just paying the bills wasn't getting it done. i needed to be able to put money away to furnish my apartment and pay for later tuition. i added 25 hours on the weekend at the local golf course after a few weeks.

65 hours a week wasn't all that much fun, but it wasn't killing me. what i really wanted to do was play poker, but i couldn't put any money into starting a bankroll because every dollar i made was earmarked for something like a couch or table for my extremely bare apartment. even currently there's little more than my futon. not to mention that i had to pay back the 3 thousand that i had borrowed to get started with.

so after a few paychecks i was out of the hole with my friends and i wanted to play poker. i looked for a stake in a lot of different places including asking my favorite pro. you can imagine my surprise when he said yes. he started me out with 1500. with all the hours i was working i didn't have a lot of time to play, along with the fact that i didn't have a computer much less internet access at home. but in the limited hours i had i got myself to the campus computer labs and played as many hours as i could. a few successful weeks later i quit the golf course job while keeping the 9-5er. the extra hours allowed me to make enough money to pay the staker back as well as build up my bankroll to the previously mentioned 5200. playing 3/6 then 5/10 then 10/20 and taking occasional stabs at 15/30.

unfortunately i got notice from school that my lab access would be ending because i wasn't registered for fall quarter. so i had to buck up and get a computer for home, along with internet. since the cable company here packages the internet and cable tv and i had planned to get cable tv in future anyway i decided to just do it now rather than later. so i had to take a good chunk of change out of my bankroll to pay for a nice comp, a tv, the startup costs of the cable tv/internet, and of course the added bill.

so now my bankroll sits at 2300. under 300BB at the 5/10 level. i wanted to find out if there's anyone out there who can help me out and give my bankroll the stablity to play where i'm the most comfortable (10/20). i've gotten and given a 100 percent return to my last stake and feel i can do the same for anyone else. i don't want to ask the same person again because i want to keep that person as a mentor and don't want to alienate him when he was nice enough to go out on a limb for me.

i don't really want to keep playing the low limit game. it's forumulaic and a grind, but more because of the time i'll have to put in again. i have good results but the variance can be so irritating. staying at the 3/6 or 5/10 level would mean that i would have to spend quite a while building my bankroll again before i had any serious income potential. and i don't really want to go through it again since i had just gone through it recently.

if anyone feels compelled to help me or want to know more about me then let me know. you can post or private message me. i'm a solid 10/20 player. i've had some decent results when i try 15/30, but the sample size is admittedly small. i've put in my time being a fish, learning the game and building myself a roll. i've read more than a few of the standard books. other than working 9-5 i'm pretty much going to be playing all the time since i've devoted the rest of this calendar year (and probably more) to saving money to finish school. i may try to become a pro when i'm done with school, but i don't want to make that decision now. part time seems to work well.

if this isn't something that's done here then just disregard with my apology. but i had heard that it was. so i figured i would ask. this forums has really helped me look at a lot of hands from different angles and i think that's an important part of the game. so maybe it can help me in a different way. anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Emoney
08-21-2004, 12:58 AM
i do, they're huge.

i thought i'd update you guys a little. i'm up slightly to just over 2800. splitting my time between 3/6 and 5/10. haven't put as many hours in as i'd like, but should be able to do a few more soon. i'm won't be pulling anything out until i'm over 6K, so i'm not seeing any money any time soon. /images/graemlins/frown.gif but we're gonna get there. the adventure continues.