PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy (again)

SirWidebottom
08-10-2004, 04:53 AM
Hi everyone. First time poster, short time reader (well a couple of months, about how long I have been playing /images/graemlins/blush.gif). I probably totally suck but I would like your opinion on these two cowboy hands that came 3 hands apart. I'm not being results orientated, the reason I post is that I feel my biggest problem at this stage is not being able to read the board with accuracy. I'm wondering if I was too aggressive given the boards? (or just plain suck /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 (poster) folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

River: (12.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 16.25 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (16.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks Kh (two pair, kings and queens).
MP2 shows Ad As (two pair, aces and queens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 16.25 BB. </font>
and

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.50. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (25 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (20.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

I call thinking that I may be up against AA given the pre-flop and flop aggression. I didn't think anyone would be betting like that pre-flop with low cards that could make the straight so I discounted that and decided that I was probably up against AA, AK, QQ or similar. It's still 3-handed so what can they all have?! Anyway, I thought I would check/call the river if I didn't improve.

River: (23.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 33.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 33.50 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (33.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks Kd (three of a kind, kings).
UTG shows 3s 6c (straight, six high).
Outcome: UTG wins 33.50 BB. </font>

I'm about half way through SSH, after Lee Jones' book, a dabble of ToP and HEPFAP. I decided that i was merely overloading myself by trying to read too much too quickly so I have filed the others away until I get through (and understand and remember!) SSH.

cartoonsoldier
08-10-2004, 04:59 AM
First hand, AA vs KK is almost unavoidable, nobody gave you any reason to beleive that you are beat. Tought beat.

2nd hand, UTG got lucky, just make a note on him that he defends his blinds.

WillMagic
08-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Actually I think you played these hands exactly the way I would have played them. On the first hand, you made what I consider to be a good value bet, because I would think that your opponent would have JJ-99. You got unlucky this time, but I think that is generally a good bet.

And on the second hand - I had put your opponent on a lower set as well, so I don't mind your play there either.

Don't let these hands discourage you. Keep playing aggressively.

Will

SirWidebottom
08-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, it's nice to know that I wasn't missing something that was blatently staring me in the face /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CLC
08-10-2004, 10:56 AM
ADD him to your BUDDY LIST if he continues to play those hands preflop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wada
08-10-2004, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about half way through SSH, after Lee Jones' book, a dabble of ToP and HEPFAP. I decided that i was merely overloading myself by trying to read too much too quickly so I have filed the others away until I get through (and understand and remember!) SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing and because I did the same thing, I would have played those hands the same way. I think in Hand 1 MP2 could have played his AA better, like raising the flop. You saved some bets because of it.

Hand 2 I would have played the same way. Yea like someone mentioned UTG was very lucky. What he was thinking with 36o (heck even suited for that matter) is beyond me. Its nice to have idiots like that at the table.

meep_42
08-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Hand 1 - Thank MP2 for saving you money on the flop and turn.

Hand 2 - Make friends with this guy. Well played.

-d