PDA

View Full Version : Vulnerable TPTK in bad position

Atropos
08-10-2004, 03:10 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks.

River: (5.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Well, I got a read on MP3 that he frequently reraises the flop either as a pure bluff, or with oe-straight draw btw. flush-draw. At the turn I obviously know he cant have hit his draw, but he could have been on QXs which poses some problems to me. And I have no idea what UTG could have, he is the usual party fish, always playing AX and stuff.
Is then the check at the turn ok?? The river poses the same dilemna, again a overcard + UTG frequently plays KX...
Should I bet one time or check it down? What should I do if MP3 bets into me on the river? Call down or fold since the pot is rather small.

Nottom
08-10-2004, 03:20 AM
I think you should 3-bet the flop to put some pressure on UTG who almost certainly has at least 1 overcard you'd like to get rid of.

Leading the turn is probably a good plan regaurdless of how you play the flop, you can't let random overcards spook you.

Atropos
08-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Well if he got an overpair like 88 or 99 its impossible to get rid of him, and I think the possibility is there too.
It seems that playing these small TPTK has no value at all, you can never win a really big pot with it, and unless you got a very very good read on your opponents the variance will be huge.

WillMagic
08-10-2004, 04:35 AM
So what are you doing to do? Fold? You have the best hand, it's vulnerable, so play it aggressively.

I agree with Nottom's analysis. 3-bet the flop, as the flop raiser most likely has a draw, and only very rarely has you beat. And if you decide to call, then you do have to bet the turn.

Will

chief444
08-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Atropos,

You need to shake off that weak tight mentality in general and 3-bet this flop AND lead the turn if called. TPTK has value. Don't be afraid to bet. Don't worry about the variance. Don't let one flop raise scare you into giving all those free cards.

Sent
08-10-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm 3-betting this flop and leading out as others have said. When Mp takes a free card and no spade falls on the river I would've bet out again.

-Sent