PDA

View Full Version : This is really bugging me

Riposte
08-10-2004, 02:50 AM
I am reading Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger and going through the various Test Your Skills sections. I find myself rarely folding and generally coming up with conflicting answers to his "correct" answers.

Anyway, for example, this one particular hand bugs me. Granted, in the book example, it is for a $15-30 limit game (maybe this is why I'm getting wrong answers?). It says:

You hold K /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the big blind. An early player and two middle players call. The small blind calls and five players see the flop of K /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The small blind bets. There is $90 in the pot. What do you do?

I would raise! But the book answer is to fold. Am I wrong?

Vehn
08-10-2004, 02:55 AM
This is an incredibly close decision that can only be answered by asking questions like what do I think of the small blind's play, what do I think of the limper's play, what do I think the small blind thinks about my and the limper's play, etc, and you have approxametly 3 seconds to answer those questions before people start looking annoyed at you and/or beeping at you. But the short answer is if you think the correct answer is definitely "raise", you are incorrect.

Nottom
08-10-2004, 03:01 AM
There is a similar example in the "Theory of Poker" where David advices a fold as well.

Basically it all comes down to the fact that with all those players left to act and a very drawy board, you could easily be way behind and if you are ahead you have lots of ways to lose. Since the pot is small, you can just let it go.

Riposte
08-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Ok yeah, I would be raising to try to drive out other players. The small pot kind of defeats the purpose though... makes more sense to me now.