PDA

View Full Version : Hand from live tourney tonight.

Neuge
08-10-2004, 02:30 AM
I'm still fairly new to poker, so I was wondering if my reasoning is correct in this situation.

Unlimited rebuy tourney, a little over an hour in, rebuys have ended. Blinds are 100/200 with 25 ante.

From MP1 with ~3200 in chips, I look at QQ and raise to 800.

CO-1 raises all-in for 1250

CO (~2800 in chips) flat calls, though he takes a long time and looks like he's making an agonizing call.

Folded to me.

My thinking: Folding with QQ for 450 to a 3850 pot is out of the question. CO has already committed almost half his stack to the pot so he's most likely pot committed to even a push by me. With his agonizing call I'm most likely ahead of him. I've almost got the original raise covered with what I've already put into the pot. So I push.

Is this a bad move? good move? marginal? Did I even make the proper opening raise? I'm really confused about this hand. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MissOt
08-10-2004, 03:06 AM
could he have had AA and was trying to get you to push? or only other thing i can think of is AK and he has to call when you push. unless it was JJ-TT and he couldnt fold it.

but i dont know even if you call its going to be hard to fold on the flop even with rags or an A...

im not much help but i would probably push here given the read. im also curious to here what others think though.

adanthar
08-10-2004, 03:13 AM
Others will say they like this. I don't. If you think he's pot committed now and will call anyway, why push? You're just giving him 5 cards instead of 3, and that's discounting the possibility he has aces.

I would call and bet a few hundred (more if there's a big draw out) on any flop; because most people will check an all in down, he's reasonably more likely to fold if he has nothing. If he comes back over the top with an ace on the flop, you can fold yourself. If there's no ace, you have a clear call and are now much further ahead than you were before.

Neuge
08-10-2004, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Others will say they like this. I don't. If you think he's pot committed now and will call anyway, why push? You're just giving him 5 cards instead of 3, and that's discounting the possibility he has aces.

I would call and bet a few hundred (more if there's a big draw out) on any flop; because most people will check an all in down, he's reasonably more likely to fold if he has nothing. If he comes back over the top with an ace on the flop, you can fold yourself. If there's no ace, you have a clear call and are now much further ahead than you were before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I appriciate your input. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

From my read (though with my inexperience it may be misguided) he definately does not have AA or KK. His call was so excruciating that I put him on AQ or an underpair (most likely).

But even if he has AQ, is he gonna bet out the flop big if he flops an ace? He could still be way behind the original raiser if he has AK.

And if a Q flops, how do I paly that?

I just figured I had him in a very bad spot, that it was a +EV if he called my push. This is where I'm confused though. Even if I did have him in that bad of shape (which I truly think I did) was my push a good move?

Neuge
08-10-2004, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
could he have had AA and was trying to get you to push? or only other thing i can think of is AK and he has to call when you push. unless it was JJ-TT and he couldnt fold it.

but i dont know even if you call its going to be hard to fold on the flop even with rags or an A...

im not much help but i would probably push here given the read. im also curious to here what others think though.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said before, I'm fairly certain he doesn't have AA or KK. I'm just curious to see what everyone here thinks he could have and my chances/odds against those hands.

But thanks for your input /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adanthar
08-10-2004, 12:20 PM
If an ace flops, and he bets into you, yes, he will have it 90% of the time (the rest, he'll have QQ-TT and want to move you off kings, but if he doesn't fake the 'agonized' tell you can probably read his hand on the flop.) But any ace will bet into you regardless; the main pot is locked up, and he's equally comfortable either getting you off it or building a side pot. [Keep in mind the all in is also reasonably likely to have an ace, which makes your fold even more clear cut as you are quite possibly playing for a dry pot.]

If you flop a Q, just bet (small). You want as much of his stack as he will call off, but he will likely not call an all in on a flop that doesn't help him.