PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out

shadow29
08-09-2004, 11:25 PM
I've been playing live home games/ local card room type things for appx 2 years now. All of that experience, save one night last week, has been at NL.

I am considering starting to play online.

My question is should I do the .05/.10 thing and move up or just play sngs?

Thanks for your advice, I know it can be hard w/o much specifics, although if you have any questions please ask.

Usul
08-09-2004, 11:35 PM
I would suggest playing the party $25NL. If you can't beat this game, please do the gene pool a favor and castrate yourself. No offense intended, it's just a really soft game.

LondonBroil
08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
With 2 years of experience, starting out at .05/.10 seems a bit of a waste of time. Stick a couple hundred into Party and try the 25NL tables. This is, of course, based on the fact that you have been a winning player these past 2 years.

BreakEvenPlayer
08-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Deposit $50 into Party Poker.

Play $0.50-$1 limit. Play this limit until you make $600. At this point you can play $1-$2 until you make $1200.

If you bust out deposit another $50 and try again.

If you deposit a third time and bust out a third time, then go to your local Barnes & Noble or Borders and buy yourself WLLH by Lee Jones and SSHE by Ed Miller. Compare and contrast what is said in these two books. Read them exhaustively, and then you can put another $50 into Party Poker.

Once you get above $2000 at $2-$4, create a netteller account and cash out all of your Party Poker money into this account.

Now create accounts on multiple sites (UB, Paradise, Pacific, True, etc.) making sure that you maximize all of the signup bonuses with large deposits from Neteller. This is what we like to call bonus whoring. Play on these sites until you clear all of the bonuses.

Finally, pull all the money back to Neteller and uninstall the Party Poker client from your computer. Go to a friend's house and set up an Empire Poker account with this computer. Party/Empire is where the worst players are and this is where you need to call home. Sign up with an affiliate so that you can get a percentage of your rake back. I am not one but many who post here are. Just ask for one when you get to this level.

Many here will promote playing .10-.20 and moving up like this, but winning a $1.79 pot will neither motivate you or pad your wallet. If you keep losing at $.50-$1 at Party Poker then you need to find another hobby.

Hiding
08-10-2004, 12:04 AM
I have to say that is the most descriptive and useful response to one of those questions I have ever heard.
Well done covering every bit of the whole thing in 500 words or less.

ejess
08-10-2004, 03:12 AM
This is exactly the post I would like to have read when I started out.

Ding ding ding, 10 points for post of the day!