PDA

View Full Version : Flopped 2-Pair on First Hand. . .

VarlosZ
08-09-2004, 09:02 PM
This was the first hand of a PokerStars $35+$3 6-handed NLHE SNG. Everyone has 1500 in chips, and I don't recognize any of the players. Blinds 10/20.

I'm dealt T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. 3 limpers including the SB, I check.

Flop (pot=80): T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, I bet 75, UTG folds, MP raises to 380, SB folds.

It's possible that I'm behind, of course, but I have to figure that I'm in the lead. However, MP is likely to have a draw, and possibly a very good one (such as a pair and flush draw), so I don't figure to be a very large favorite. I do very well in these 6-handed SNGs, and there's something to be said for not getting so heavily involved as (probably) a slight favorite so early. Nevertheless, letting go of the hand just seems like sacrificing too much chip-EV, so I decide I can't fold.

Option #2 would be to call on the flop, then push on the turn if a blank comes. The problem is that MP could be on any number of draws. 29 out of the 47 possible turn cards could complete a straight or a flush.

Rather than play guessing games out of position on the turn, I decide to reraise all-in.

Obviously this didn't work out for me (why else would I be posting this?), so where did I go wrong, or was I just a victim of the deck?

Results: <font color="white">MP had Th9h; game over.</font>

PrayingMantis
08-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Flopping marginaly good hands from BB in unraised pots, and busting with them, is something that happens to all of us, I think. In my opinion you did the right move: read him for a draw or a top-pair, which is pretty much typical for this pattern of betting. I don't think you can fold without a very strong read on him, and calling his raise is not an option, for me at least, since you have a very vulnerable hand, and many turn cards are scare-cards, as you said yourself. Tough break.