PDA

View Full Version : MSH a la SSH

mikelow
08-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Have been reading and studying Small Stakes Hold 'em. Lots of concepts like folding Ax offsuit and the quad queens overcall problem.

I think the approach advocated could be applied to loose games at higher limits (up to even 40-80 if the game is right). I mean, if the game is loose enough (and many games in the middle limits are), can you win playing close to what you would in lower limits?

Flame away on this one.

Gamblor
08-10-2004, 09:39 AM
I think you're exactly right.

Each game is independent of the stakes it's played at - sometimes you get a 5-10 that's rock solid but a 20-40 with 3 cannons raising any two preflop.

A game is a game. If people are loose in a 20-40, it means they look at 20 bucks the same way a loose player in a 5-10 game looks at 5 bucks. Stakes are not absolute, but relative to each player. I may view 20 bucks as something significant (despite playing in the game), but the whale in Seat 8 might not care and play as if it was a 2/4 home game.

I hope that makes a hint of sense.

The point: A game is a game. Some games, regardless of the numbers listed in the little plaque next to the dealer, will resemble games from SSHE and your win rate should be the same.

IMO.

mike l.
08-10-2004, 01:40 PM
at commerce the other day i watched this 100-200 hand go down:

weak tight lady regular (non-floater) openraised in mp, button guy who is dressed really heavy lounge lizard w/ chest hair and fro and gold chains and all cold calls. bb fat white guy calls.

flop is AsKh4h. bb bets, lady raises, button calls, bb 3 bet, lady 4 bets, button calls again.

the turn is 3s. bb bets, lady raises, button calls, bb 3 bets, lady calls, button calls.

the river is 9s. bb bets, lady calls, button raises, bb shows A4 and folds, lady calls, button shows 7s6s and wins. can you say "nice flop dood!"?

sshfap applies to all good games at any level. it applies much more to the games i play in than hpfap. that's not to say i dont think it's without some flaws. but it is a great book.

SA125
08-10-2004, 02:30 PM
"button guy who is dressed really heavy lounge lizard w/ chest hair and fro and gold chains and all cold calls. bb fat white guy calls."

Hysterical.