PDA

View Full Version : Flopped top pair, weak kicker, what to do?

over_c
08-09-2004, 08:22 PM
$11 Party SNG. I have 770 in chips at the start, blinds are 10/15.

UTG limps, MP1 limps, I limp from MP w/ 8c,7c, SB calls, BB checks.
Flop: 7d 5d 2h
SB checks, BB bets 75 (pot), folded to me, what should I do?

Results in white:

<font color="white"> I raised to 225, thinking BB may have had top pair, weak kicker, or maybe nothing at all. He comes over the top all-in and I fold. </font>

VarlosZ
08-09-2004, 10:55 PM
It's been a while since I frequented the Party $10+$1s, but if memory serves, you can't count on your opponent folding top pair no matter how much pressure you put on him. Also, a semi-bluff isn't too likely from early position in a five-handed pot. Hence, I don't think raising was the best play.

You could call and hope to see the show-down (relatively) cheaply. There's a good chance you have the best hand, and if you do you'll probably not have to face too much pressure on 4th and 5th streets. Also, against many players you'd have great bluffing leverage if you call and a third diamond hits, though with the loose players you're likely up against (and the very short starting stacks), this probably isn't the place for a tricky play.

I think the best play is simply to fold. You are probably behind, I believe. Even if you aren't, a player reckless enough to bet into that many opponents with less than top pair may or may not slow down when called -- and if you thought this was a painful decision, wait until an overcard comes on the turn and the BB fires again.

Then again, I tend toward tightness, so I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions.

Regards,
Jer

ilya
08-10-2004, 01:02 AM
I prefer folding this preflop, and I strongly prefer folding on the flop. Even if you're ahead, you have so many ways of falling behind or seeming to fall behind that it's just not worth the stress IMHO.

CADub49er
08-10-2004, 01:17 AM
I would not have been in the hand to begin with. This is the exact situation you want to avoid early in a tournament and committing a portion of your stack.

But if I was in the hand, I would drop it without even thinking.