PDA

View Full Version : Did I jump the gun?

7474flh
08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Second deal of the tournament and I'm holding a pair of Q's giving me a full house with the three tens on the board. He raised all-in and I called him. He was holding a pair of A's.
Now, with 10 players dealt two cards, five on the board and the three scrub cards, there were twentyfour cards left in the deck. Giving the kings and aces the benefit of the doubt and say none had been dealt, that leaves a four in twenty four chance of me getting beat.
Did I jump the gun by calling? Should I have folded and lived to fight another fight? How many of you would have called that all-in with those odds?
Thanks.

juanez
08-09-2004, 08:56 PM
I might have called also, but you might get better advice at the "Tournaments" forum.

x2ski
08-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Call that action... especially early on in a tournament, I have seen a lot of people just try to "get lucky".

Unfortunately my friend, that's what we officially call a "bad beat".

x2ski
08-10-2004, 12:16 AM
To accentuate MY definition of a "bad beat" to all of you who say "my aces were cracked by 63o" /images/graemlins/frown.gif...

I consider a "bad beat" to be one in which yes, you are totally shocked at the result, but you have no reason whatsoever to be mad at your opponent for beating you.

I've heard a lot about bad beats where someone got sucked out on. That happens quite often. A truly bad beat, in my opinion, is one in which your big scary monster is thrashed by an even bigger (and uglier) monster. Bring on the arguements (sp?), if any. If you choose to argue about how I spelled "arguements," step off please /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nottom
08-10-2004, 02:55 AM
You will also recieve much better advice if you post the details of the hand.

Nottom
08-10-2004, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, with 10 players dealt two cards, five on the board and the three scrub cards, there were twentyfour cards left in the deck. Giving the kings and aces the benefit of the doubt and say none had been dealt, that leaves a four in twenty four chance of me getting beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks like crazy voodoo math to me.

7474flh
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
So who said anything about being sane and christian.