PDA

View Full Version : Modded Aleo Spreadsheet Up and Running!

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Ok so I loaded it on Geocities, I dont know how slow the downloaded will be (1MB) but it is the best I could do for now, if anyone can get it up and running somewhere else email me @ jurollo@yahoo.com and let me know. Also knowing me there might be a few bonehead mistakes somewhere, even with my combing through everything I could have missed something so let me know if you find something and I will rectify it and upload a new version immediately. But anyhoo, here is the link. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/jurollo/index.html

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 06:19 PM
ok, we already have one issue. The SD in the "Conf" sheet isnt matching the SD in the Stats sheet, they are seperate calculations so if someone wants to take a look it would be appreciated, as SD is not my strength.

AleoMagus
08-09-2004, 06:32 PM
I haven't seen the updated sheet yet. Something about the site exceeding it's file transfer limits.

Still, I can tell you that the SD calculation was changed numerous times before I got it right. The version that is on my conf. page on my site now is correct.

I'll take a look at it as soon as the site will let me download it, or if you want to email it to me I'd be happy to sort it out

Regards
Brad S

shub314@HOTMAIL.COM

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Ok I think geocities has to go, I will have to look for something that gives me more bandwith for people to download the sheet.

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Looks like the official launch is going to have to be delayed until I get somewhere better to get this thing hosted.

AleoMagus
08-09-2004, 07:26 PM
ME IMPATIENT!

Hurry Hurry Hurry! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry... I just can't wait to see it. Any luck finding a site for it?

Regards
Brad S

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Nah, not yet, I emailed you a copy though Brad.

NegativeEV
08-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Download worked & Tip

FYI, the download worked for me & the model looks great. Thank you and AleoMagus for your work on this bad boy, it is much appreciated.

Also, please note that you must use the proper weekday abbreviations in the input section to make the "splits" analysis work properly (i.e. you must have "Su" for Sunday, etc.). A dropdown selection box in the input tab may help with this, but it is simple enough to figure out if you look at the formulas in the "splits" tab.

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh man I forgot to write that in the notes section, I will update it now, for those who have already downloaded... the abbrevs are...
Mo - Monday
Tu - Tuesday
We - Wednesday
Th - Thursday
Fr - Friday
Sa - Saturday
Su - Sunday

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok update made already, now I have drop down menus for day of the week on the entries sheet, posting it now, brad I'll send you the new one too via email.

AleoMagus
08-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Oops, Sorry, didn't even need the email

I got it to download on geocities.

Looks good. I like the daily and splits pages a lot. This is actually something like I was hoping for when I first made the spreadsheet. I included the 'Day' column hoping to do this and it's good to see.

I think this is gonna start to reveal a lot about what days are actually good for sng play. (I suspect my Sunday ROI will be significantly lower than other days /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

Yeah, the SD calculation on the stats page is wrong. The calculation on the confidence page is the correct one I think.

I appreciate the credit in your notes, but I think it's starting to become time to stop calling this thing the 'Aleomagus' spreadsheet or whatever. '2+2 OTT contributors' might be more appropriate as all the work I did came from other suggestions anyways.

Lord knows I could never have done most of it had it not been for a lot of message board stats and excel help.

More importantly, I suspect that this spreadsheet will change even more (and become mine even less) if others want to take a crack at it.

What I'd like to see now are dynamically generating graphs, time of day analysis, dynamically generating entries tables (is that possible?), and maybe more statistical analysis of finish ratios. So hurry up and get on it all you lazy moochers /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Work Jurollo

Regards
Brad S

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
I really suggest anyone who got it before 8:00 EST downloads the newer version I put up on geocities. It has drop down menus and I fixed the SD calculation, I changed the name of it to "2+2SNG" so if you havent gotten that then download it rather than the AleoMod file name.

stupidsucker
08-09-2004, 08:23 PM
didnt someone in the other post mention they would host this for free on their own personal site?

If you cant find anyone I still have someone that might host it for us, but he said that he couldnt set up a way for it to be updated. He also cant host it forever.

If you can email me copy I will put it on a disk and run it over to his house. I tried to DL it, but the geo site says you have exceeded data transfer blah blah...

2xa@earthlink.net

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Stupid,
I emailed you a copy and also emailed the guy who said he would host it for us a copy and explained the situation, but I am out now for a little while, would love to hear some feedback from those that have gotten a hold of the newest version (2Plus2.xls) and not the one I posted earlier today. So thanks everyone for trying to get this thing hosted. This spreadsheet will eventually laugh at pokertracker, haha.

durron597
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Another error: on the data sheet you don't load the tourney level correctly from the entries sheet.

Jurollo
08-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Ok so our little hosting problem is taken care of and the good folks at tilthappens.com have hooked us up with a spot for it. Thanks to them again for helping me out here. Here is the new link for the spreadsheet.

http://www.tilthappens.com/files/2Plus2SNG.zip

AleoMagus
08-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Good to see we have a good location finally

A couple other points:

The #players field in the Entries page should also be grey and should copy into the data page. This is to accommodate Pokerstars and other 9-player sng sites.

Actually the #places paid and payout percentages should also be grey but I notice now that you have eliminated the possibility of 30 person sngs from this particular sheet. I think that is fine because I doubt people were using it for that anyways. If they were, they can go on using the original.

Regards
Brad S

UncleRemus
08-10-2004, 03:06 AM
This splits stuff is way too cool...

This great spreadsheet keeps getting better and better!

Thanks a lot Jurollo, Aleo, and everyone else who worked on this, it's such a beautiful thing..

Also...Sunday may be the day of the Lord, but it's obviously NOT the day of the poker Gods. Or at least not MY poker Gods! I think I might just start taking Sundays off and playing more on thursdays. Mmmmm Thursday.

Jurollo
08-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Yea I figured I didn't think that many people were playing the multi table SNGs, if there was a huge outcry I could put those back in there. Also if we can start compiling a list of little bugs, I used this for party poker only so I didn't think about the 9 table tournies at poker stars. So if we can get a list of problems going I will try to fix them and resend it to tilthappens to post again. I would like to add more to the splits page before posting another version, so I may fool around with it in the coming days.

Marcotte
08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Hey guys, your spreadsheet looks great. There's a lot to take in, but I have loads of freetime at work, and it looks less suspicious to work on a spreadsheet than read 2+2 /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I've just started looking at it, but will likely make some modifications for my own use that I'd be happy to email you. So far the only things I'd change is automate the day of the week picker (put =Weekday(B18) in a hidden column, then do a lookup on that column to return the day of week.) and maybe simplify some of the formulas on the data page. (Use that algebra I learned in HS /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Kudos. I look forward to disecting this.

Jurollo
08-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Marcotte definately let me know when/what you change and email me a copy, I would love this forum as a whole to take it and run with it.

Marcotte
08-10-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm working on it right now, and keeping track of the changes I'm making.

My statistics isn't very strong, so I'm having some trouble understanding the Conf and Stats page. Specifically, the Standard Deviation per tourny (cell F11 on the Conf page). Your formula matches the answer given by the Excel function STDEVP (std dev for a population). Wouldn't it be better to use a "Sample" stdev calculation (i.e. n-1; excel function STDEV). With the sample data I threw in (7 tournys), it raises the number about 10% (~$21 to ~$23).

Also, on the stats page, what is the +/- Z value and +/- Confidence? I am trying to modify the ss so that you can track different level tournys together (say you play both 10+1 and 20+2). Since I'm not sure exactly what these number represent, I don't know what changes need to be made to take into acount different buy-ins and payouts.

AleoMagus
08-10-2004, 07:35 PM
once you get your SD/tourney, in order to get a confidence interval the following calculation is performed:

(x)/(SD/SQRT(n))

where n is the total number of tourneys played
and x is the +/- dollar amount for which we are calculating confidence.

For example, it we are calculating what I call 'winning' confidence, x=Avg profit/tourney. For +/- $1, x=1. For +/- $2, x=2. etc...

this value is given as the Z value in the stats page.

This is then converted on a normal distribution table (or using the excel function) to an 'A' value from which the following formula gives confidence

% confidence = 100(2a-1)

The truth is, those Z values really serve no informative purpose whatsoever and I only put then on that page initially because I was just learning the stats myself and was totally unfamiliar with excel. It made it a more step by step process to calculate confidence which made it easier for me not to get confused.

I later took it out as it was all included in the confidence calculator anyways. The version of the spreadsheet which Jurollo modified still has it there, but it really makes no difference and should pretty much be disregarded in favour of the confidence calculator as you can specify your own range of values from which to calculate confidence.

As far as modifying the spreadsheet in order to calculate values like SD for multiple buy-in amounts, it gets a bit more tricky (well, sort of) and actually, I'm not sure if the info is all that useful.

My recommendation is just to use separate copies of the spreadsheet for different buy-in levels and track the results separately.

If you are really interested in a combined ROI and other stats for all buy-ins, a better idea might be a totally separate spreadsheet which is fed info from existing versions of the given spreadsheet at different buy-in levels. If you understand what I am saying.

Truth be told, and maybe it I don't even need to say it because it may be obvious (to those in the know)...

... I actually know very little about Excel OR about statistics.

Perhaps my work on this spreadsheet suggests otherwise, but it is true. I really know very little

All the calculations that I have come up with I learned by asking around on these forums and most of the excel techniques I used are less than what most would call efficient. I just didn't know how to do a lot of it any other way. The SD excel functions are a case in point. I had no idea they existed. That is why my calculations are all done with big formulas. (and have undergone much revision since I initially posted them).

Actually, now that I'm talking about it, one of the best updates to this spreadsheet would just be for someone who understands a lot more about excel to go through it and simplify anything they can where there is a tool or calculation function that I was unaware of. It might not change the look/function of it much but it could make it more aesthetically pleasing from a development standpoint, and it could make future modifications easier to make because people will not have to wade through all my convoluted formulas and cells which reference cells which reference cells which reference cells...

Sorry to not be more help. If you stil have questions I will try to give more answers.

Regards
Brad S

Big TR
08-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Jurollo, I'm a PS player, so there were some modifications I had to make to get the profit calculations to work out correctly. I'm emailing you the spreadsheet with the following changes....

1. I automated the top 11 rows on the Data tab to pull the information from the Entries tab. Given the 9 seat nature of PS, the calculations are affected if all this data is not changed.
2. # of hours on the Stats tab s/b automated to reflect your number of Simul tourneys.
3. Splits tab needs to be automated for various buyins. Presently, it is only setup for a $20+2. I revised it to automate based on the criteria inputted on the Entries tab.

I avoided learning stats during my two classes in college, so I'm no help on that front.

Dominic
08-11-2004, 10:54 AM
what about the 6-handed at UB? I can't sem to make that work in the new one, although it did in the old speradsheet..

Big TR
08-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I think this will all be taken care of in the latest one I'm getting ready to send to Jurollo. I'm having him check my handywork. I've modified it to include not only the changes above, but also dynamic charting. (I love google) I'll be testing it over the next hour to make sure it all works.

Marcotte
08-11-2004, 11:27 AM
I sent some modifications to Jurullo. Included were:

1) Simplified some formulas/references.

2) Made changes to allow for different level buy-ins. I added a table where you can enter in different tourny formats (buy-in, vig, payout structure [up to 5 winners]), then, when you enter your tourny data, you choose a buy-in and vig and that determines the payout for your finish. Right now it is set up so that you can only have one unique buyin+vig tourny (i.e. One $10+$1, one $20+2 etc.) I only play on PokerRoom, so if someone will post the relevant info (buy-in, vig, #players, payout structure) for SNGs on other sites I will change it to reflect the possible differences b/w a PR $10+$1 and a PS $10+$1.

Dominic
08-11-2004, 11:29 AM
that's great...and thank you to everyone who has worked on this...it's been a big help in the last few weeks and I'm sure it'll be an even bigger help now...

Of course, now I wish there was a spreadsheet to tell me WHY my ROI at a 10 handed game is twice as much as when I'm at a 6-handed game! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jurollo
08-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Ok well I through together Tim's mods (great work) into a version 2 and will work on including Marcotte's into a version 2.1, sent version 2 to the host to get it up and running and will start a new thread once it is so people dont come here seeing the old link. It is tough trying to merge 2 completely different mods into 1 so I have sent marcotte Tim's version to see how easily he could do it. Anyway that is where we stand now, I will post the link for version 2 when it is uploaded to our host. Thanks for the amazing reception to this.

Big TR
08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
The credit is all to you and Aleo. We're only picking at the crumbs.

After all, this is what the boards are for, right?

Joeyyungrocks
08-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Hmmm i dont know whats wrong i ported my places from my old spreadsheet but i play 10s so i changed the info and what not. But it says i have 360$ profit which i obviously dont looking at my bankroll, but i wish i did, do u guys know what i could possibly be doing wrong?

Marcotte
08-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Jurullo, I sent you a version 2.1. I took the dynamically updated charts that Tim did and added them to my copy. It didn't look like he made any other changes besides the charts, but if he did, I didn't port them over to my version 2.1. Let me know if you need any more "combining" help.

Doc JS
08-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Jurollo,

When I tried to dl the spreadsheet at 6:45 PM Eastern, I got the following message:

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

I'll try back later...but just wanted you to know.

Doc JS

neotope
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Try the TiltHappens link.

Doc JS
08-11-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try the TiltHappens link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...worked like a charm! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Doc JS

Big TR
08-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Marcotte, I listed all the updates I made on the notes tab and labeled them version 1.2, if that helps. There were several formulary errors throughout the spreadsheet that I corrected. I saw you were working on some formula stuff, so maybe our efforts crossed.

rybones
09-05-2004, 12:53 PM
bumpity bump

Lori
09-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I can download it, but can't get it to open.

For those of you who don't know me from the zoo, Im HOPELESS with computers.

Lori

LinusKS
09-05-2004, 09:13 PM
It's an Excel worksheet. Do you have Excel?

Lori
09-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Ah, no, that'll do it.

Thanks.

Lori

waffle
09-05-2004, 09:43 PM
I've got a mirror here,

http://matt.mondrary.com/poker/2Plus2SNG.xls

Phill S
09-06-2004, 07:31 AM
if you have some kind of spreadsheet package (star office for one) then you should be able to open it up using that.

open your spreadsheet package, then open it going file, open and selecting the file.

it should work, however depending on the package some parts may not work in it.

and if you dont have any spreadsheet package, well, that means your stuck i guess.

Phill

The once and future king
09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Good job.

The only problem I have is that the splits seems to insist on calculating on the basis that I am playing 20+2.

I have filled in the correct number 50 +5 everywhere I could but seems to have no effect.

Cheers.

Phill S
09-06-2004, 09:05 AM
ive changed mine for a number of buy ins, you must have missed something somewhere.

the main part is on the entries page, top left if memory serves.

if that isnt it, im not sure where the other one is.

Phill

The once and future king
09-06-2004, 09:12 AM
I did that. Everywhere else the calculations are correct. Splits seems to not want to play ball.

The once and future king
09-06-2004, 09:25 AM
A very usefull addition would be a rake paid and then an entry for your rake rebate so the spread sheet could tell you exactly how much to expect back from your affilaite.

Jurollo
09-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Yea the calculation on the splits was just for $20's, in a later issue that I personally use, but hasnt been uploaded I changed it to mirror the buy in on the entries page, I have been taking a vaca from poker so I'll get the new one up and running soon.

hansarnic
09-07-2004, 09:35 AM
This is fantastic.

As others have said, really shows the value of 2+2 so thx for all who have put it together.

It's probably my misuse, but I couldn't see an easy way to analyse results by TOD or whether single or multi-tabling (and if so how many).

Any1 point me to what I'm doing wrong? Or if these splits aren't there I think they would be really useful (especially the multi-tabling one).

Thx