PDA

View Full Version : Scary

Boris
08-09-2004, 06:02 PM
More news of the deeply disturbing today.

#1 - Some prick down in Florida convinced 3 teenage boys to bludgeon to death 6 people with baseball bats because of a dispute over an Xbox. I'll bet the families of the victims wish they would have had a gun or two in the house. I would also be very very ashamed if I was a parent of one of those 3 boys.

#2 - A jury decides not to give Terry Nichols the death penalty because he became a born again christian in prison. I guess this is kind of a victory for the anti-death penalty folks because if you don't get the death penalty for the pre-meditated murder of 168 poeple what do you get the death penalty for?

B-Man
08-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Good post, but I don't think guns would have helped the victims in Florida--from what I read, they were asleep when the attack occurred and didn't put up a fight. That might make the crime even more heinous (if that is possible).

nothumb
08-09-2004, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll bet the families of the victims wish they would have had a gun or two in the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet they really wish Troy Victorino's probation officers had been doing their jobs. Four people got fired for losing track of the guy.

This is the kind of thing that makes it extremely difficult for me to support rehabilitation over incarceration. As you probably could guess, I think the US prison system is brutal and does more to create crime than deter it. I think this guy probably picked up some of this violent behavior in prison (where he had been since he was 15 for various nonviolent crimes). But once a person is as screwed up as he obviously is, how can we let him out in the community in good conscience?

I work with young men who have been in various forms of trouble. I ask myself all the time if what I am doing prevents them from getting into more trouble later in life. I believe it does; I also believe we need to be very, very sure before we let them go.

NT

Boris
08-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Yea I agree about Victorino. If it was him alone that was perpetrator I wouldn't be so shocked. He is obviously life time loser. What was so incredible was that he convinced those 3 kids to do such a violent act.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the US prison system is brutal and does more to create crime than deter it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. I think we should very strongly consider alternative punishments for non-violent offenders. For violent crimes there is probably no better altnerative than incarceration.

[ QUOTE ]
I work with young men who have been in various forms of trouble. I ask myself all the time if what I am doing prevents them from getting into more trouble later in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubt that it helps. My observation is that children are incredibally resilient and that even a small amount of friendship/guidance/mentoring can go a very long way.

nothumb
08-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi Boris,

As a Quaker growing up, I recently was shocked to find out that the current emphasis on prison - the whole idea of rehabilitation - was originally pushed by us Friends in the 18th century. Prior to that, you only went to jail for being in debt or to await death.

I think the problem is that it's an industry now, just like energy or insurance.

I believe preventive care and rehabilitation does a lot for people, especially young people. I think it makes sense even for kids who haven't committed crimes. I think it's one of the most underfunded and undervalued things we can do for our kids and our society.

NT

NoPeak
08-09-2004, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More news of the deeply disturbing today.

#1 - Some prick down in Florida convinced 3 teenage boys to bludgeon to death 6 people with baseball bats because of a dispute over an Xbox. I'll bet the families of the victims wish they would have had a gun or two in the house. I would also be very very ashamed if I was a parent of one of those 3 boys.

This is so sad. What is the world coming to?
#2 - A jury decides not to give Terry Nichols the death penalty because he became a born again christian in prison. I guess this is kind of a victory for the anti-death penalty folks because if you don't get the death penalty for the pre-meditated murder of 168 poeple what do you get the death penalty for?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is nice that he became a christian, however, the jury shouldn't have let that sway their decision. He is on trial for his actions not his fate.

Sooga
08-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Ok, now before anyone gets started on me, this bludgeoning was just horrific. Nonsensical. Idiotic.

BUT.... here are the brief details about the 'dispute'

Troy had been squatting, using the victim's grandparents' house as a 'party house'. Victim comes to the house, finds Troy and his miscreant crew, and orders them out. Victim then takes the stuff in the house (including the Xbox and some of Troy's clothes), and inexplicably takes them to a friend's house. Troy tells the victim he wants the stuff back, or he'll 'beat her with a baseball bat while she's sleeping' (or similar such words). Victim doesn't give the stuff back. Troy comes in during the night, beats her while she's asleep, and takes his stuff.

Now, I'm not excusing Troy for what he did. But keeping the belongings of an ex-convict away from him when he demands them back.... well, that's just not very bright.

Duke
08-09-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#2 - A jury decides not to give Terry Nichols the death penalty because he became a born again christian in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's looking to maximize punishment.

~D

nothumb
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
Hey sooga -

I read this and was kind of surprised by it, as well.

This was truly stupid. And he was harassing her enough that they called the cops like 6 times.

NT