PDA

View Full Version : Two Hands for Critique Please

Poker Jon
08-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey All,

$3 rebuy to Sunday's $215 tourney on Stars. 480 or so enter, 22 seats up for grabs, down to 90 or so. I have 35k, which is above average - probably sitting around 22nd place. Big Stack (BS) (65k - about 5th-7th) to my right is a good player, however overbets the pot a bit, but isn't overly aggressive. I have a tight table image, and haven't really made any plays at the table although we have been together for a good hour on this table.

Hand 1: 600/1200 a75

8 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif in LP. All fold to BS who calls, as do I (have been getting lucky with this hand lately and fancied it). SB and BB complete, 4 to the flop.

7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB, BB check, BS bets 6k, I call (think I am too weak here), SB and BB fold.

Turn

q /images/graemlins/club.gif

BS puts me all in for 28k. I think, and then call. I had so many out here, I felt I had to call as I wasn't close enough in the satellite to guarentee a seat. Right or wrong here?

BS flips over 65o for two pair, but the river pairs the 7 for a split pot.

Hand 2:

3 hands later!

UTG + 1 I pick up queens. However, BS is UTG and raises to 4800. I think and then push putting him on KK-1010 or AK. I am happy to lose to KK in this situation, and expect him to fold AK.

Folded round to BS who called IMMEDIATELY and flips AKo. K hits the river and I am dust. I personally thought he would lay down AK for over half his chips at that point. I was obviously wrong, but I would have laid them down /images/graemlins/confused.gif

How did I play these two hands?? I feel in retrospect that I could have called preflop and pushed on the 9 high flop, but I didn't want to let any small pairs or too many overcards in on the flop? There were quite a few chips on this table.

I also felt I should have been the aggressor in the first hand and raised on that flop - anyone agree?

All critique gratefully welcomed.

Cheers, Jon

PizzaAggie
08-09-2004, 05:15 PM
OK, let me preface this by saying that I am still relatively new, but have had this particular situation hit me in the face a few times. I have held QQ on my last hand of a tourney at least a half dozen times. What I found out the first 3 times is that you do not want to put in all your chips pre-flop when facing a raise. What I began to do, which seems to work better for me (but maybe not someone else) is smooth call the raise and see the flop. If no overcards come out, I may push in all my chips. Of course, this does not stop someone holding AA or KK from beating you, but it should get AK to fold.

Just my opinion.

Tosh
08-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Hand 1, either raise about 4BB preflop or fold. Stacks aren't deep enough here to sneak in after only 1 limper.

Hand 2, don't expect online players at this level to fold AK preflop. You played it ok though.

PS Good holiday?

Poker Jon
08-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Tosh,

Hand 1 - Normally wouldnt limp but have been running good with this particular hand lately /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hand 2 : The more I think about it the more I should have used the stop and go. How would you play, if you called the bet and then BS went all in on the 9 high flop. Could you consider folding queens in this situation?? I don't know.

These $3 sat's are the ones that are keeping me on my poker toes at the moment!

Holiday was pretty god damn good!! Shame to be back at work!

Cheers, Jon

vandalay
08-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Hand2 - PokerJon.... here is the real question

If it was a Khigh flop or Ahigh flop would you fold no matter what? You did put him on AK, but it could just as easily been the other cards you spat out (1010-kk)

I personally would push everytime. You have odds, plus he could have many hands worse than you. His best case scenario is a coin flip (which is really 6/5 in your favor).

Plus he might fold.... plus the BS generally play it slower with AA and KK UTG. Not all ones, but most do.... a 4X bet screams, I dont really want a call, but will take one.

Poker Jon
08-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Vandalay,

If I flat call and then the flop comes A or K high, and the BS goes all in, then I think I can fold the hand - If he has 1010 or JJ, then I hold my hands up and say nice play.

Maybe this is too tight?

The later part of these satellites are starting to bug me lately. I feel you need a big double up at some stage during the mid to late stage of the tournament in order to survive and win a seat, but I seem to be getting myself caught on too many 50/50's.

Cheers, Jon