PDA

View Full Version : Is this right play with A-K?

msb
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Are these calls on Flop and Turn correct? I figured any 5, K, A wins the pot... I had him on either a meduim/high pair or A-Q, K-Q, A-J (didn't read him for A-K, A-A, K-K, cause I figured he would have capped pre-flop)

-----------------------------------------
Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.70 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10.70 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows Td Th (one pair, tens).
Hero shows As Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.70 BB. </font>

sin808
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
You'll get better (and probably more) replies by not posting the results.

I would probably raise the flop, and probably wouldn't raise the river....but I've been off my game lately too, so grain of salt and all..

msb
08-09-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll get better (and probably more) replies by not posting the results.

I would probably raise the flop, and probably wouldn't raise the river....but I've been off my game lately too, so grain of salt and all..

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the raise on the flop... but why no raise on the river? Am I afraid of 5-5? Would he raise in early position pre-flop with A-5, or K-5 suited? (New game, never played this guy before, so I don't know his style).

Piiop
08-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I would raise the flop here. If he has a PP your raise will probably let you get a free card on the turn.

I like the river raise.

zram21
08-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I think you played it fine. It does look like your 6 A and K outs are probably good. On the turn you just about 1 BB shy on pot odds to call with just the 6 outs, but your implied odds suggest you will make that 1 bet back (in fact you made two back) and with 5 also giving you a chop it was a good call.

msb
08-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the responses... I have a tendancy to stick with A-K way too long, but I figured 10 outs (A,K,5) would win me the hand (assuming he didn't have 4-4 or 6-6).

Let's say, though I don't have the inside straight draw... and the flop comes up rags. Is that a complete miss for me? In other words, do I fold any bet or can I assume the A or K will win me the hand (6 outs) and play pot odds from there?

SoCalPat
08-09-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say, though I don't have the inside straight draw... and the flop comes up rags. Is that a complete miss for me? In other words, do I fold any bet or can I assume the A or K will win me the hand (6 outs) and play pot odds from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads-up, there really is no flop that could miss you so badly that you would give up on the flop. You could still have the best hand, and as you brought up yourself, you have 6 outs if you do.

If the flop came all rags, I would still raise the flop if bet into. If I'm 3-bet, I'll call, but if I don't improve on the turn, then I'm outta there if he bets into me again.

With a multiway pot, obviously, you play this hand much differently.

cartoonsoldier
08-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Good 3-bet PF.
I would raise the flop hoping for a free turn card.

rjc199
08-09-2004, 06:36 PM
I would raise the flop incase he had two big unpaired cards and/or buy a free card. If he 3-bets I'm calling the flop and turn. Of course you should raise the river.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-09-2004, 06:48 PM
My standard play is usually to raise this flop and depending on the situation bet the turn or take the free card.

I like the river raise.

sin808
08-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Oops, completely missed his pf raise. Ignore the man behind the curtain, he knows not of what he speaks...river raise= good.

skierdude1000
08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Flop raise was definately needed for the free river card