PDA

View Full Version : 1st or 4th syndrome...

Tosh
08-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Anyone else find this? I have been playing regular SNGs the last couple of days for the first time in a while and just find I'm either busting in 4th or winning.

Desdia72
08-09-2004, 03:38 PM
they typically pay around 4Xs the buy-in for 1st place, so in a typical 50% ITM scenario, if you come in 1st place and then a 4th place...you're ahead two buy-ins in profit. that's great because if you string a bunch of these together, they allow you to whether streaks where you may go 10+ SNGs without a cash.

woodguy
08-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I run into this from time to time as well.
I think it is because when it gets down to 4 I crank up the aggression to take advantage of "bubble tightness"

In a significant percentage of the games I find I run over the table somewhat and build a good stack to finish off the rest of the table, and the other amount of time I either run into a hand or get outdrawn.

I've tried to somewhat to temper my aggression (I tell myself "You are not Jason Strassa /images/graemlins/smile.gif), so I don't put myself at too much risk for no good reason.
It's very tempting when you are the big stack to just raise all in 4 out of 5 hands as the table usually just lays down and takes it (especially when the other 3 have similar stacks)

Or, by the time they realize what you are doing you have stolen another 2000 in blinds.

What do you think is causing your 4th place finishes?

regards,
woodguy

Tosh
08-09-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What do you think is causing your 4th place finishes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably losing KK to A5o and AK to A3 too often ?

kyro
08-09-2004, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Probably losing KK to A5o and AK to A3 too often ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, do you hear that? I think it's the Bad Beat Police!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

durron597
08-09-2004, 08:37 PM
It's kinda strange: I have a "1st or 5th" syndrome. My most common two results are by far 1st and 5th. 1st - 21.1%, 5th - 15.5% (ROI = 39.6%). I think that it's because I try a little too hard to have a stack that can play well on the bubble. In other words if I don't have an at least 2xBuyin stack by level 5 (starting stacks 1500, blinds 75/150) I start getting desperate and making some loose plays - in particular I tend to bleed off chips to calling stations. But the times I do manage to get my good stack by then, I play the bubble really well and usually have a huge advantage going into the really shorthanded play.