PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: What is "shania"?

burningyen
08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
I've seen this term used a few times and am curious what it means. Is it simply a loose table image, or is there more to it?

daryn
08-09-2004, 03:25 PM
it's like advertising. showing a hand to create a maniacal image.

1800GAMBLER
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
clicky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=holdem&Number=533592&Forum =,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main= 533592&Search=true&where=&Name=81&daterange=&newer val=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Pos t533592)

papawawa
08-09-2004, 04:56 PM
you see no one really knows whether shania is loose or tight, I'd imagine the latter; but I'd like to straddle her nonetheless!

Sredni Vashtar
08-11-2004, 05:51 AM
burningyen,

If you are referring to the Shania of Sredni infamy, I wouldn't worry about her until you no longer consider yourself a newbie.

Shania is the culmination of actions. Frequently we see on the forum plays that have certain value in isolation, that is when played just this way this particular time. For example, look at a common example. You have an opponent who almosts never bluffs. Therefore in isolation (this particular case), and in fact in every particular case where this condition still exists, it would never be correct to call with a hand that can beat a bluff but nothing else, right? Why call? So it is clearly wrong to call. But Sredni is shaking his head. What if your opponent realizes this? Now he bluffs a little. As a direct result of your cumulative undeniably correct actions in isolation, you have possibly lowered your total profit over the long run. You have disturbed your Shania.

There are many cases of this. My original post focused on preflop mainly because it is much easier to explain. It was born of distant memories of forum battles, one in particular Sklanksy stated that AK held a certain value in a certain type of game. But we digress.

But as I said, newbies should focus on the fundamentals, because Shania will betray you otherwise. You shouldn't expect her to stand faithfully aside, while you frolic with wanton ladies in the garden.

However, I do believe Shania has been slightly abused, as I have heard rumours of poker beings playing like mad under her banner.

Yet in spite of this, well treated Shania is a beautiful thing, and takes years to almost master. Ultimate Shania will likely remain illusive.

SV.

playerfl
08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
"But as I said, newbies should focus on the fundamentals, because Shania will betray you otherwise. You shouldn't expect her to stand faithfully aside, while you frolic with wanton ladies in the garden."

LOL, are you practicing to write the book "Yogi Poker" or is this just what you do for fun ?

in any case its entertaining.