PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll suggestions for S+G

Yawkey
08-09-2004, 02:35 PM
It's been 4 days since I joined Empire Poker and I am currently sitting on $120 profit! After trying a couple different games, I'm finding the S+G's most profitable for my style of play. Right now I am comfortable playing in the $10+1, 10 player Texas Hold'em NL games. My question is at which point should I start considering moving up to the $20 games and eventually the higher buy-ins.

Thanks

stupidsucker
08-09-2004, 02:56 PM
If you are new to SnGs I recomend you play at least 300 tourneys at the 10+1 level before even considering moving up at all. By this time you will have a better idea of how you fair against the players, and this is more important than the BR itself.

There are tons of posts on this already. Do a seacrh on "bankroll" in this topic. I believe the average response is to have 30x the buy in to be safe. 20x should work, but still has a higher ror obviously.

Sponger15SB
08-09-2004, 02:59 PM
ditto.

Jurollo
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I did $300 for the $10's and had a bad run that almost banrupted me. And I do $600 now for the $20's.

Yawkey
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't think 10x the buy-in would be quite enough. Sorry about the repeated newbie question. I'll post an update when I have a good set of sample results.

Yawkey
08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
After asking my newbie question and being pointed in the right directon for some research I figured I better redeem myself and give a good report on what I found (Really I'm just avoiding playing on a tilt after the Red Sox loss tonight).

I found the thread called SnG Faq's ver. 2.0 or something like that (Note to all newbies like me: search for that thread and read it, it will answer most of your initial questions). That had links to three different threads pertaining to this subject.

Money Management:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=565423&page=&view=&sb =5&o=

If you like math this is the thread for you, it gave me scary flashbacks to differential equation classes. There is a good explaination of Risk of Ruin(RoR) here, and some discussion on RoR comfort levels.

Moving Up:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=659875&page=&view=&sb =5&o=

This is a good thread on psychological vs. bankroll considerations when moving up.

Difference Between Levels:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=659875&page=&view=&sb =5&o=

This starts out slow, but read down a couple posts. It gets into the factor of loosing a couple times in a row on high vs. low stakes and your loss comfort level even with a sufficiant bankroll.

Some good points:

No bankroll is large enough for a bad poker player.

11x to 30x the buy-in is the recomend range of bankroll for each level. Where you fit in depends upon where you feel comfortable, if loosing %30 of your bankroll after three or four losses is a problem then you need to play at a lower level where you have closer to 30x the buyin. If that risk is one that you are will to take, than so be it.

If you have the skills to win at one level you probably have the skills to win at the next higher level. Providing you have sufficiant evidence that you are indeed a skilled player and not a lucky player.

The other one that I like yet was debated a bit, treat yourself to a higher level buy in everyonce in a while. Get an idea of how you stack up against them, and gain some experience.

If I missed anything important please let me know.