PDA

View Full Version : 55 UTG - Live 8/16 Hand

Six_of_One
08-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Semi-loose-passive-aggressive 8/16 game. I limp UTG with 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, MP and Button also limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, BB calls. What's my play here?

I called. MP folds, Button calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, BB calls, I raise. Button calls two bets cold, SB folds, BB calls.

River: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, I bet, button calls, BB folds. I show my hand, and the button folds.

Comments on how I played it?

Haupt_234
08-09-2004, 01:34 PM
A raise on the flop wouldn't accomplish much... I like it.

Edit: Would you have raised even if the turn was, say, a K?

Haupt_234

bsk1999
08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
I think you should raise the flop here. By calling, you risk both MP and the button calling, which only decreases your equity in the pot. By raising, you can force out over cards that the MP and Button might have, also knowing that the SB and BB will probably call the extra bet. Ultimately, you probably loose out on 1-2 big bets as the BB won't lead the turn, but may call for a showdown, but you increase your chances of taking the pot unimproved.

Rico Suave
08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Haupt:

[ QUOTE ]
A raise on the flop wouldn't accomplish much

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a good chance that hero has the best hand here and not just a draw. Raising will get over cards behind him to fold, and set him up to possibly take it down on the turn. I like a flop raise.

--Rico

Six_of_One
08-09-2004, 02:15 PM
I did think there was a good chance I had the best hand. Even if it is best, however, it's very vulnerable. That's why I chose to wait until the turn to raise...my plan was to raise if the turn card wasn't too scary, not just if I made the straight (obviously that made it easy).

scotnt73
08-09-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haupt:

[ QUOTE ]
A raise on the flop wouldn't accomplish much

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a good chance that hero has the best hand here and not just a draw. Raising will get over cards behind him to fold, and set him up to possibly take it down on the turn. I like a flop raise.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

true, however with table like he said id just call as well. with 55 i want to get in for 1 bet only because the flops either gonna hit me real hard or im getting out. there are gonna be overcards and with 5-6 ppl seeing the flop ill wait for a better spot to make money.

Six_of_One
08-09-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you have raised even if the turn was, say, a K?

[/ QUOTE ]

A King on the turn may have scared me into just calling. Another 4 would have scared me too, along with any heart. Other than that, I was planning to raise.

Rico Suave
08-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Scot:
[ QUOTE ]
with 55 i want to get in for 1 bet only because the flops either gonna hit me real hard or im getting out

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about raising the flop, not preflop.

--Rico

Rico Suave
08-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Six of one:

[ QUOTE ]
I did think there was a good chance I had the best hand. Even if it is best, however, it's very vulnerable. That's why I chose to wait until the turn to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting till the turn to raise will definitely make it more incorrect for overcards to come along, but by not raising the flop you are making it CORRECT for them to come along, or at least close. If the pot were bigger, ok maybe wait till the turn, but you can make it incorrect for overcards to come by raising the flop. So in effect, you are giving the 2 players behind you a cheap (and not necessarily incorrect) shot at looking at the turn. IMHO, raising the flop is the play.

--Rico

scotnt73
08-09-2004, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scot:
[ QUOTE ]
with 55 i want to get in for 1 bet only because the flops either gonna hit me real hard or im getting out

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about raising the flop, not preflop.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

yikes my bad. you are absolutely correct.