PDA

View Full Version : a 5/10 sob story, AKA MAxx whines

MAxx
08-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Flame Away...

I have been crushing 3/6 for 7BB/100 after 8000 hands (I have been told that 8000 hands is too short to draw any conclusions and nobody can expect to keep that rate up, but I figure I am at least playing decently.)

When my bankroll has gotten over $3,000 I have played 5/10 until it dropped below $3K and then gather up my pride and return to stomping 3/6. This is my 4th move up to 5/10.

Here are 4 hands that sum up my 2hr $500 losing session. I did not go on tilt at all, for better or worse... this is my style. The first 3 hands occur at one table. The last hand happened at the previous table. Please comment on the hands or moving up in limits and ignore my whining. (PS-I am a little ashamed of the JJ hand.)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ac 4d (flush, ace high).
Hero shows Kh Kc (flush, king high).
Outcome: SB wins 13.50 BB. </font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: (11 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (13 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Hero shows Kc Kh (one pair, kings).
MP2 shows 3h Jd (two pair, jacks and threes).
Outcome: MP2 wins 13 BB. </font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Hero shows 3c Ac (three of a kind, aces).
UTG+2 shows Ks Kh (full house, kings full of aces).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 16.50 BB. </font>

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (12.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.70 BB

BB shows Ah Qc (straight, ace high).
Hero shows Js Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: BB wins 14.70 BB. </font>

Maybe I am not ready for 5/10 anyway. Feel like a dope for taking money from one level and feeding to the next, but I guess I will continue the cycle until I beat 5/10.

BassMan712
08-09-2004, 10:18 AM
First, regarding the hands you posted:

Hand 1: The only thing wrong is the 3 bet on the river, passive or not, i'd just call the river raise.

Hand 2: Regardless of the result, I bet out the river.

Hand 3: You got beat by a two outer on the river. Couldn't have played that any better.

Hand 4: Exactly how I would have played it. Looks standard to me, nothing to be embarrassed about.

Your post kind of scares me a little. I myself have been beating 3/6 to the tone of 3.5BB/100 over about 8,500 hands. and I am looking to make the jump to 5/10. On the other hand, I think you're just having some tough luck beat at 5/10 that you can't do anything about. The best advice might be to keep grinding away at 5/10 as long as you have the bankroll and the confidence to win at that level.

sublime
08-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Hand 1- Standard
Hand 2- BET THE RIVER
Hand 3- I might fold when it comes back to me

MAxx
08-09-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1- Standard
Hand 2- BET THE RIVER
Hand 3- I might fold when it comes back to me

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Standard in the sense that you would have had same river action or standard in the sense that I should have just called his river raise

2) My thinking was that I played this hand properly up to the river. This opponent seemed bad, but she had called all the way (and withshood a fury of betting/ raising)and lots o draws completed on the river. I reasoned that it was more likely than not that a worse hand would not call here, and I was opening myself up to a checkraise that I would not want to call. Of course I would have to call it though.

3) Yea, I considered folding when it came back on the flop. I decided to make the call, and if the flop hit me REAL hard (thinking flush draw) I could proceed to make out like a bandit. I had put the Limp Reraiser on AA or KK with about a 95% confidence. Nice flop, I have Ruled out AA.......more than likely KK than AK. The check around the flop meant either monster somewhere or I am top dog. When I get picked up on the turn by only the limp reraiser, I know I am sitting pretty. When river card it I knew it was bad for me, so I just threw out my version of a value bet and called his raise.

JARID
08-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Maxx,

I have found that the Party 5-10 is much tougher than the Party 3-6. Tougher in the sense that after a bad beat or a misplayed hand it takes longer to recoup those lost chips. (unless you can find more people who play J3off pf /images/graemlins/grin.gif) Therefore, looking at your 5/10 results in this limited timespan is likely to be dis-heartning. This was my experience FWIW.
I believe there are much softer 5-10 games on other sites.

-Jarid

bisonbison
08-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Maxx, 8000 hands is not a lot. 7BB/100 is probably unsustainably high. I think you should play 3/6 a while longer.

BigEndian
08-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Disagree. Move up as fast as you can, whenever you want to and where ever the games are good. Take caution in selecting good 5/10 games, however.

- Jim