PDA

View Full Version : Leaks abort anti-Qaeda operation : Traces of treason

Cyrus
08-09-2004, 05:11 AM
The folks in the Bush camp have recently declared publicly a Situation Orange in the anti-terrorist home front. Political opponents have accused the Bush administration that the alarm was politically motivated. Subsequently, it was revealed in the press, through “leaks by US officials”, that there was “indeed” a sting operation going on, aimed at al Qaeda operatives, and in the process of that operation, the relevant information about terrorist threats to New York, New Jersey and Washington came up.

All seemed well, then, as far as the alarm goes, but there was one snag: The leaks jeopardized the sting operation itself! As allies of the United States and intelligence experts now say, the leaks were extremely damaging to the whole thing. Pakistani (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/08/09/terror.wrap/index.html) authorities go as far as claiming that the operation is essentially aborted, due to the leaks.

A few days ago, I quoted an Israeli anti-terrorist expert, who was politely saying that the US administration is quite wrong to go public with alerts and “raising the level to Orange”. The man said such moves are “counterproductive and might help the terrorists”. Turns out the man was right. So the question is, who are these officials that leaked the story to the NY Times (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5626850/) and why did they do it? I'm not saying, as Howard Dean does, that this comes necessarily from the top, but should not the people know, where it all came from?

I trust that everyone, whether pro- or anti-Bush, would want to see a full investigation of this matter.

MMMMMM
08-09-2004, 06:30 AM
"I trust that everyone, whether pro- or anti-Bush, would want to see a full investigation of this matter."

Not necessarily, Cyrus. A public investigation might well jeopardize more undercover operatives or operations. Kick it back under the bed, seriously.

Zeno
08-09-2004, 11:27 AM
The NY Times - A rag sheet filled with Loony Liberal Lefty Drivel. I never read it even though I can walk to a good library in five minutes. I just watch FOX News transfixed in a catatonic stupor, spittle dribbling down my chin as I absorb hate filled right wing rhetoric.

[ QUOTE ]
I trust that everyone, whether pro- or anti-Bush, would.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this, Cyrus, what your world has been reduced to?

Why all this first, second, third guessing and uninformed speculation? Just purchase some weapons and form your militia and prepare for Ashcroft, he will be at your door soon.

After all, the world is all black or white, yes or no, pro or anti, and either - this or that.

Le Misanthrope

Cyrus
08-09-2004, 04:35 PM
C > "I trust that everyone, whether pro- or anti-Bush, would..."

Zeno > "Is this, Cyrus, what your world has been reduced to? The world is all black or white, yes or no, pro or anti - this or that."

Are you saying there should also be a Don't Know category?

I thought it was obvious that the "Don't Know's" are included in the pro-Bush category.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cyrus
08-09-2004, 04:41 PM
" A public investigation might well jeopardize more undercover operatives or operations. Kick it back under the bed, seriously."

This would be an investigation of who said (leaked) what to the press. Not an investigation into intelligence work!

You are either confused or trying to make this into something it is not. What it is, is (yet another) blunder by the American administration that has soldiers, spooks and allies tearing at their hair in exasperation.

Administration should show some class and investigate the matter, even for appearances.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-09-2004, 05:22 PM
This is the sort of damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't sort of catch-22 the current administration is caught in right now. Everyone wants to know everything and when they're told they can't know everything, it's conspiracy theories and flamefests for everyone. When they're given the justification for the government's actions, it's at the price of the actual work that needs to be done and now they scream that the administration is a collection of bumbling fools. You can't have it both ways. At some point, you have to be satisfied with your status as a person on a need to know basis. This stuff didn't need to be known and I hope this folly can at least serve as an example that there are some things that are best left out of public knowledge and that Bush et al are not just doing these things on a whim or for purely political gain.

B-Man
08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
This is quite aggravating and, as the title suggests, possibly could rise to treason.

But I would rather discuss Edgar Martinez, or the Patriots' chances of repeating as Super Bowl Champions.

paland
08-10-2004, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily, Cyrus. A public investigation might well jeopardize more undercover operatives or operations. Kick it back under the bed, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for saying that MMMM. We don't want the culprits to get caught now, do we? It might ruin their chance for re-election.

MMMMMM
08-10-2004, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
" A public investigation might well jeopardize more undercover operatives or operations. Kick it back under the bed, seriously." ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be an investigation of who said (leaked) what to the press. Not an investigation into intelligence work!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, good Cyrus, but one thing frequently leads to another and in this matter the former could easily lead to the latter. At the very least, the accused might have a few choice words to say or a few key names to name.

"You are either confused or trying to make this into something it is not. What it is, is (yet another) blunder by the American administration that has soldiers, spooks and allies tearing at their hair in exasperation."

And what do we know of this in its entirety? Conjecture a few alternate scenarios if you will, perhaps as an exercise. Such things are seldom what, or all, they seem.

Should we take the story of Khan's involvement as the press reports it? Should intelligence have taken Khan's stories at face value? Did they really? Another dozen questions spring immediately to mind, leading yet to others...and that's not even broaching the questions of what Pakistan's Qaeda-friendly intelligence service might have been up to in this whole scenario.

Going by the press, you appear to think we really have a good overview of the situation somehow. The smart money might guess differently.

"Administration should show some class and investigate the matter, even for appearances."

The less this stuff is out in the open the better our chances for success in the shadow wars. Let those involved handle any "leakers" as they best see fit.

After kicking this mess back under the bed, make the bed well, with the spread hanging down low nearly to the floor, put on the coffee , and go about the morning's business.