PDA

View Full Version : 2 pair on an ugly board

RustyCJ
08-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 ($22.10)
MP1 ($69.53)
MP2 ($47.20)
MP3 ($24.75)
CO ($3.75)
<font color="C00000">Button ($67.93)</font>
SB ($30.50)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($25)</font>
UTG ($18.23)
UTG+1 ($20.68)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $0, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $0, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks,50,50,50,

Flop: ($2.25) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, UTG calls $2.50, MP1 calls $2.50, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Button calls $3.

Turn: ($23.25) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button calls $10.

River: ($43.25) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $6.5 (All-In)</font>, Button calls $6.50.

Final Pot: $56.25
<font color="green">Main Pot: $56.25, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($56.25).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 3c 4h (full house, threes full of fours).
Button shows 2d Ah (straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins $56.25. </font>

Was my reraise on the flop bad? Should I realize I am likely beat at this point? I reraised because I wanted anyone drawing to pay heavy to see the next card.

cornell2005
08-09-2004, 02:10 PM
you should never wait until the river to get all your money in in this hand. a good rule of thumb would be never to min raise. it gives away way too much info for what its worth numerically. i would push like half your stack ont he flop and the rest on the turn, if your bankroll can handle normal variance.

the way it played out on the flop, push all in on the turn, leaving that 6.5 behind is entirely pointless.

RustyCJ
08-09-2004, 03:02 PM
so for my reraise, make it very significant, put the raiser to the test here? I guess my thought was, I may have the best hand, I am pretty sure there are inside straight draws out there and I want to get rid of them.

Also, after my turn bet, I realized I only had 6.5 left and that was dumb. Also, my flop reraise I figured it was big enough to say, I have a hand but I can still lay it down if he raises me all in here.

JrJordan
08-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Flop: I like betting out here. You have a very vulnerable hand and do not want to give a free turn card. The minraise from the villain is awfully fishy. Either he's raising to get a free river card, or he's slowplaying a made hand. Your reraise here though is way too small. I reraise to $10 here, and fold if he reraises me again. If he calls, then you still need to slow down.

Turn: He calls the flop, and a scare card A hits for the open-ender 2. Can't imagine the button having a 2 except for A2s, in which case he already has the straight. Tough bet either way here. What is your read on this guy? LAG? Tighty? Plays too many hands? Tricky? Tough to play this spot without a read. You've only got $15/16 left at this point. I think you either push and get some folding equity out of this (or charge the draws), or you check and fold to a decent bet. My guess is he has a medium overpair with a draw, 66 or 77. The other option, as I said before is the slowplayed A2s. I probably push here, but not liking it much.

River: Nice draw. Push the rest you've got, though I still say put it in on the turn.

schwza
08-09-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: I like betting out here. You have a very vulnerable hand and do not want to give a free turn card. The minraise from the villain is awfully fishy. Either he's raising to get a free river card, or he's slowplaying a made hand. Your reraise here though is way too small. I reraise to $10 here, and fold if he reraises me again. If he calls, then you still need to slow down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with this advice - this is a big hand (but vulnerable) on this board. the only realistic hands that you're behind are A2s, 67s, and 55. that's not very many hands at all, and a hand like 88 will be willing to put a lot of money in on the flop. i'd make it about 13 to go, plan on calling a push, and pushing yourself on any turn that's not a 2. if it's a 2, i'd check/fold.

and yes, as you played the flop, you should push the turn.

JrJordan
08-09-2004, 04:38 PM
I mentioned in my post that the most likely hand was a small overpair, like 66 or 77. I'm not sure if the villain would re-reraise with a small overpair like this. No straight draw is going to do this either. What other hands could you put him on that you beat if he re-reraises? The most likely are A2s, 55 (or the unlikely 33 or 44), and 67s. A big overpair like AA or KK might do this, but the preflop action doesn't warrant it either. If he had some sort of read that he plays an overpair or TPTK too far and will commit his stack, then fine. Without a read though and against a legitimate opponent, the re-reraise should be a fold.

cornell2005
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
i think your thinking is good, but are probably giving too much credit to nl25 players. i thikn he coudl have a much wider range of hands than the ones you mentioned.

my overall strategy for this hand would be to get all the money in on the turn if a non super scary card falls, as i can see him having a huge amount of hands, including small overpairs. my flop play is based on setting up the turn all in.

sure he may have you beat, but nl is all about pushing edges, and you definently have one here.