PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Flop Play

TL Price
08-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Playing $5+$1 SNG Limit Hold 'Em table. 7 handed game. Hero is CO with $2360 in chips. Blinds are $25/$50.

Hero is dealt Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

3 limpers come in, Hero Raises, Button Folds, Blinds call, Limpers Call. (Pot is 12 big blinds).

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Blinds and 2 limpers check. 3rd limper bets. Hero raises. All blinds and limpers fold to the bettor who calls.

Question: Should I raise in this position or simply flat call on the Flop? Given prior play, it is likely that the majority of limpers/blinds will stay to the flop in an unraised pot. However, I am fearful of someone drawing to a 4 flush, and/or picking up a draw on the turn and decided as a result to push on the flop.

Had the flop come rainbow, I would have called and waited to the turn to raise.

Feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

knightunner
08-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Raising is the correct play here, especially in the sit and go format. I have found that people will chase just about any four flush (sometimes even 3 flushes) that they hit on the flop. The $5 + 1 is notorius for this. Raising, while it doesn't guarantee the fold, makes a call the incorrect play. Over the long run, this will benefit you.

good luck
~knight

Phill S
08-09-2004, 06:08 AM
its an all in no question.

the pot is 12 BBs, at 50 a BB, plus im assuming the raise isnt included, why are you messing around. get straight to the point, if they want to draw to the flush as a 2/1 underdog, let em.

take it down, and take it down now. you want the pot, but if your called your a huge fave.

Phill

edit: after a re-read, the pot is 12 BBs on flop, plus the bet, its 650-700 or so, again, push no question.

TL Price
08-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Would have loved to move in, except that this was a limit table /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phill S
08-09-2004, 07:42 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fair dues, didnt notice that.

in reflection of its new-found limit status, its raise raise raise, until a flush shows then its call call call.

Phill

edit: if the river brings the flush and you dont fill the ark, a fold may be in order, it comes down to read. if its a flush on the turn, theres no reason not to call, as youll be getting great odds on it.

TL Price
08-09-2004, 08:20 AM
OK thanks.

Now your editorial comments gets me. I would have to have one hell of read to ever fold the hand if a third heart came and I didn't fill up. With so much money already in the pot, even if the heart falls, I think I would still always check and call and pay off a flush no matter what. I would be trapped for an additional big bet.

I guess my question to you would be: have you ever folded a top set when the third suited card came on the river?

Phill S
08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
rarely.

i added the read bit because sometimes you can be sure, and if the big bet is a big chunk of your stack, sometimes a fold is a good one.

i guess my thinking is no-limit orientated (like it didnt show earlier in the thread /images/graemlins/grin.gif). if i didnt know for sure, or at least i couldnt be sure enough, id pay it off, especially in limit. because like you say, its a big pot.

Phill