http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/8/83/Optical.greysquares.arp.600pix.jpg

This is a test of your visual perception:

youtalkfunny
08-09-2004, 12:34 AM
I've seen this before. Mind-blowing.

jdl22
08-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Fantastic stuff.

I was searching for the answer to this on google and I found a good page with other similar things. Here is another:

http://redwood.ucdavis.edu/bruno/psc129/figures-demos/hermann-grid.jpg
Count the black dots.

tyfromm
08-09-2004, 07:19 AM
answer in white:

<font color="white"> Square A and B are the exact same shade of grey. If you don't believe it, copy the picture to a "Paint" or other picture editing program and drag the squares next to each other. For many people, their brain will just not accept the truth of the squares' identical shading. </font>

Ulysses
08-09-2004, 01:00 PM
You can also try covering the right side of the picture (including the cylinder and the letters) such that the bottom left corners of each of the two squares are still visible. Very strange.

highlife
08-09-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can also try covering the right side of the picture (including the cylinder and the letters) such that the bottom left corners of each of the two squares are still visible. Very strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when I do that A looks darker...I had to do the paint thing. Thats pretty crazy.

JoeU
08-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I think I'm blind now!

Joe

Zeno
08-09-2004, 06:33 PM
What is interesting is that if you are nearsighted and wear glasses, you can take the glasses off and, although the image is somewhat blurred, there are no flitting black dots anymore. Thus, your mind is not fooled by the image - because it is unclear. With clarity comes disorientation.

Interesting phenomena in perception –from both perspectives. Many years ago Time-Life had a book series about various subjects and one was vision. The book had numerous similar ‘vision puzzles’ about false dots, perspectives, and dimensions etc.

-Zeno