PDA

View Full Version : When do you know you are beat?

W. Deranged
08-08-2004, 09:48 PM
3/6 at the Stone. One of the worst-playing maniacs I've ever seen in the big blind. My friend is in UTG+1. I'm in MP with AQ offsuit.

Pre-Flop: Two limpers (including my friend) to me and I raise. I caller behind and a the maniac in the big blind calls. My friend calls, and the other limper calls. Five players see the flop for two bets.

Flop (5 BB): Q 3 2 rainbow.

Checked to my friends, who bets. The other limper folds, I raise. Folded to my friend who calls.

Turn: Q

My friend bets, I raise, he three-bets, I cap.

River is a blank.

My friend bets and I call.

When, if ever, should I know that I'm beat? Specifically, should I cap the turn?

adanthar
08-08-2004, 10:12 PM
If your friend isn't terrible enough to be playing Q3 or Q2, I think I'd raise this one more time before I called down his full house.

Then again, if he knows exactly how you play and what you would raise both streets with, you can call down a turn 3 bet.

W. Deranged
08-08-2004, 10:15 PM
One thing to note which my friend only pointed out later was that my turn "cap" was not actually a "cap," as the street began heads-up. I put my bet in saying (without thinking) "cap-it," and the dealer and my friend both took my fourth bet as closing the round.

With that said, does the decision whether or not to cap the turn change based on whether the betting is or is not closed at four bets on those round.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Well, hes either got KQ or 2's or 3's full

sublime
08-08-2004, 10:43 PM
My friend is in UTG+1.

Since hes your friend I imagine you have somewhat of a description as to how he plays.

I will assume he has a clue and you are up against a boat.

I would call the turn 3 bet and call the river.

Munga30
08-08-2004, 11:31 PM
If "know" means fold at any point in this hand, you should never never never ever "know".

I'm more inclined to four-bet whether there's a cap or not. This is exactly how a worse or same Q would play against your supposed AA or KK but looks a little odd for a set that improves to a boat (I assume that if he's your friend, he knows better than to play Q2 or Q3). Specifically, why would he take his foot off the gas on the flop only to lead out again on the turn? He should be check-raising your ass and capping if you have a Q and not AA or KK.

Once I'm 5 bet or get led into on the river, I call like you did.