PDA

View Full Version : Omaha books?

Rudbaeck
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I've been more and more intrigued by Omaha lately, and would love to give it a spin. But playing a game that is "all about hand selection" without a clue about the hand selections seems dangerous.

So, what are the three first books one should aquire?

Like for limit hold'em I'd say WLLH, SSH, TOP in that exact order. (WLLH isn't really a "nuts" book, but for an introductionary text and 'stop the bleeding' instructions it's unparallelled.)

Thanks in advance.

Yod
08-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Ciaffone and Ray Zee both wrote very good books.A third I am not in possession of but some people like Cappelletti's book and Malmuth gave Michael J. Barry's book Omaha Express a 7.

benfranklin
08-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Not sure if you are talking about Omaha or Omaha/8 HiLo. For Omaha Hi, start with Ciaffone.

For O/8, the best for the basics of hand selection is the book by Mark Tenner and Lou Krieger. Then read Ciaffone. His book is mostly Omaha Hi, but has some on O/8. Then read Zee's book on HiLo Split.

MEbenhoe
08-09-2004, 12:12 PM
I haven't actually read it, but I've heard the Omaha 8/b book by Lou Krieger and Mark Tenner is excellent for someone first getting into the game such as yourself.

spamuell
08-09-2004, 12:46 PM
I've got Bill Boston's Omaha High-Low - Play to Win With the Odds. It's not so much a strategy book (although it contains some basic strategy) as nearly 3/4 of the book is filled with tables of starting hands after statistical analysis after playing each hand 10000 times. I don't know how accurate the simulations are but it at least gives some good concepts as to how good each hand is and the strategy pages contain some stuff which is probably pretty obvious but if you don't know about Omaha/8 you probably won't know (like how bad 9s, 8s and 7s are). Also, the profits that the book makes go to Cancer Research so it's worth buying if just for that.

If you were talking about Omaha high, forget this post.

AKQJ10
08-09-2004, 12:50 PM
FWIW i found Cappelletti's book about what i expected, neither awful nor great, but given the scarcity of O8 reading material i'm glad to have it. It was pretty much an impulse buy at a Borders; I don't think Krieger/Tenner was available and Zee, despite the excellent reputation of that whole 2+2 series, was almost twice as expensive for a book that was half about 7-stud which i don't play!

Cappelletti succumbs to the ego bug a bit but fortunately most of the first-hand stories have illustrative value. I can't say the same about "Poor Cappelletti's Almanac" (a bunch of rules of thumb for poker and for life!) but at least that section was short. Some of the simulation results are interesting for those who don't want to rush out and purchase their own simulation software. He does have an annoying tendency to repeat himself like, oh, 7 or 8 times -- don't forget, on a high flop there's a lot of dead money in the pot from low hands that will fold to any bet! -- so i do wonder if the book was planned as a whole or just a bunch of disjoined articles put together.

dakine
08-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Wanna learn Omaha Poker? Read "Winner's Guide To Omaha Poker" by Ken Warren. Published in 2003. In my humble opinion, it is a good book to learn about Omaha Poker HI/LO. Go to your local Borders bookstore and browse through the book. Got nuthin to lose.

(Luck is God's way of Blessing You!)