PDA

View Full Version : bubble bluff

River2Pair
08-08-2004, 06:15 PM
$100+9

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed)

UTG (t2685)
Button (t1390)
SB (t4035)
Hero (t1890)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t400, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: (t1000) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t1000) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1490 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t990 (All-In).

River: (t3480) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3480

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8d 7h (high card, ace).
Button shows 2s Ah (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Button wins t2980. Hero wins t500. </font>

I think I may have gone about this hand all wrong. Maybe bet 500ish at this flop, and move in on the turn. I hadn't seen this guy make any calls like this earlier. I just can't understand how one would slowplay ace high four handed.

Earlier in the tourney, this same guy checked aces up on my BB with 88. I hit my set on the turn, bet, and he rivered an ace. Doesn't it just seem that some days certain guys just have your number?

zephyr
08-08-2004, 06:35 PM
It really surprised me that he called your allin on the turn without a pair. Almost as much as it surprised me to see him limp preflop with only 3XBB left.

You're out of position though and have noticed him slowplaying prior. I think you either push on the flop, or check this one down. But, that 1000 in the centre would be awfully tempting to me too especially if he'd been doing a lot of folding.

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

River2Pair
08-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Interestingly enough, he was ahead 55-45 preflop.

It was about 50-50 on the flop.

And I was a 2-1 dog on the turn when the chips went in.

Even so, I believe opponents will fold to that bet more than 68% of the time.

I really hadn't done anything out of line, that they knew of anyway.

My stats on the day are 278 tournament hands. 20% flops seen. 79% showdowns won.

Its just frustrating when I hardly ever bluff, and once I do, I always get called by A2o.

dethgrind
08-09-2004, 06:46 AM
I think you never should have "bluffed" in the first place. The flop hit you almost as hard as you could hope with a double-belly buster to two nut straights. That was the time to make an all in semi-bluff. Once the turn hits a jack, two bad things happen: 1) you no longer draw to the nuts 2) folding equity decreases significantly as a jack may well have made your opponnents hand. The fact that your opponent happened to have a mere ace high is not too important since any high card could beat you. Also the move on the turn (after checks on the flop) could raise some suspiscion making the sucker feel you are acting out of desparation and that his ace high is good. Plain and simple, if you move in on the flop I think it is less likely that he would have called, and if he did (at that point) you arent too worried because you have plenty of outs.

patrick dicaprio
08-09-2004, 08:09 AM
this is a terrible bluff. when you are on the bubble like this you should never bluff all in as you will only be called when you are beaten. if you are against good players a small bet as a bluff will often let you take the pot since they wont call with junk, and if you are called you can be thankful you didnt bet all in. the time to bluff is on the flop here not the turn.

Pat