PDA

View Full Version : Something from SSH on every street?

bdk3clash
08-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I'll leave it to others to discuss the SSH principle in action on each street. I would have played this hand quite differently before reading Ed's book.

Comments on each street appreciated.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: bdk3clash is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">bdk3clash raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">bdk3clash bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, bdk3clash calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
bdk3clash checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">bdk3clash raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">bdk3clash bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

cold_cash
08-08-2004, 03:37 PM
This looks good, but I would be really afraid of the CO taking a free card on the turn.

What do you do if the turn card is the 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif instead of the 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, or an overcard to your Tens?

Nate tha' Great
08-08-2004, 03:57 PM
A 3-bet on the flop will probably get it heads up and does the best job of protecting your hand. There need to be more players in, or the pot needs to be larger, before you start to forego opportunities to protect your hand on the flop.

BradleyT
08-08-2004, 03:59 PM
I agree, I was looking for the 3 bet on the flop.

Haupt_234
08-08-2004, 04:07 PM
A flop 3-bet would give the MP1 caller 7.5-to-1 on his call, not closing the action. With the good chance of a set/big overpair present, a call would be the wrong play by him with just overcards. This is why I would 3-bet and play my TT fast, as it seems this is the best way to protect my hand.

Haupt_234

bdk3clash
08-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I probably just got a little antsy to use the fancy schmancy "wait until the turn to raise to protect your hand" thingy.

Oh well, at least I get points for trying. FPS, anyone?

Nemesis
08-08-2004, 05:51 PM
I just got through reading SSHE for the 3rd? time I think. I really was trying to understand things that I didn't fully grasp the first 2 times through. This wait until the turn to raise was one i thought i knew, but had misapplied badly. Pre-flop raise standard, I think that waiting until the turn to raise would have been more applicable if there was a BIGGER pot, and you were in posistion. The 3-bet on the flop cuts his odds to a 4 card draw or less down plenty, but trying to check-raise the turn could easily result in a free-card play being taken on the turn which would be a disaster. Getting capped on the flop also warns you to slow down a bit for the later streets I think. I think that it turned out wonderfully for you as it is though, but i'm not sure you'll always get a cooperative CO to raise for you so that you can check-raise him.

jediael
08-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Generally I think you should respect your opponents raises. I think that guy you are playing against has at least a 50% chance to have trips or two pair. So I would not check-raise the turn since the 6 didnt help at at all.
You are kind of contradicting yourself: I you think you are ahead on the flop, cap it. But you just call his raise and check-raise the turn which blanks, which doesnt make much sense to me.
I think the best play here is to call his raise on the flop, and then check and call down to the river.
(However, if you think that player is very loose-aggressive - although i would not count on it -, 3 bet the flop and check raise or raise the turn and bet the river.)

Jimbobobb
08-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Thinking that a raise on the flop means trips or two pair is way too weak tight I believe. It could easily mean overcards, a draw, top pair, or pretty much anything really. The point here was Bdclash was trying to get MP1 to fold overcards or a draw. The real question was where was the best place to do it? On the flop he can make him call 1BB, or on the turn he can c/raise to make him call 2bb cold, which will most likely get rid of him. As Nate pointed out though, raising the flop and making him call 2 more small bets would probably accomplish the same thing, and not let him see a possible overcard turn.

mosch
08-08-2004, 06:36 PM
There's a difference between respect and fear. Switching to calldown mode because of one raise on the cheap street is just fearful, wimpy poker. The CO could easily have a pair of eights, or an overcard flush draw and an assumption that bdk was betting out with ace king, just like he always does. Or he could have thought nothing at all except 'I like my hand, RAISE'