PDA

View Full Version : QJ in SB

kyro
08-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't have the hand history for this, so bear with me...

2-table NL SNG on Stars. Blinds are 15/30, and there really hasn't been much action. Stacks are fairly even, although I have the second largest at my table I think. I get dealt QJo in the SB. No raise to me, several limpers, so I complete. BB checks. Flop comes rainbow, Q high, 2 rags. I check, there is a BB bet in middle position, and a minimum raise. I call, three of us to the turn. Turn is an A. I check, and there are checks around. River is a 7. No pair on the board, no flush/straight possibilities. I bet 200 into a pot of about 400.

I hate playing QJ out of position. But when there were several limpers, I knew I had to complete. Now I have top pair, third kicker. But with this many people in, I was afraid of being dominated by...well I'm not sure anymore.

OK, I'm rambling. How would you play this hand? I'll format it better on the bottom...

Blinds 15/30
Dealt QJo in SB.
3 or 4 limpers, I complete
Flop: Qxx rainbow
I check. MP bets 30, LP raises to 60. I call
Turn: A
Checked around
River: 7
I bet 200

durron597
08-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Fold on the flop. You are playing QJ for 2 pair or a straight when you decided to complete, Qxy is not a good enough flop for you to play, particularly when there's a bet and a raise behind you. Easy flop fold.

By the way, I put MP on KQ/QJ/QT and LP on a set.

Gator
08-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I'll learn something from replys to this post -- my play is I bet the pot (maybe half the pot, but probably the pot) on the flop. Let's everyone know I hit flop pretty well - find out who wants to play - if two callers I slow way down, if one caller, I may hit it again. My feeling is someone needs to have a decent hand to call an early position raise. Why complete with QJ if you aren't going to bet when the queen flops?

kyro
08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My feeling is someone needs to have a decent hand to call an early position raise. Why complete with QJ if you aren't going to bet when the queen flops?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. That's my problem. I hit my hand, and was still timid.

Any other position but the blinds and the button I'm mucking this hand. For half a bet with several limpers, though, how can I not complete?

I wanted a cheap showdown, and 60 into a pot with many players somehow enticed me. When it appeared the A scared people, I decided to make a stand and bet out.

I don't really remember the results. I either won the hand or tied with the flop bettor. Regardless, I know I need to improve with hands like those. I have done incredibly well in SNG's (yet I piss away money in NL cash games) but this is definitely one of my weaker points.

The Venetian
08-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Let it go on the flop. You'll potentially have to put a lot of chips into the pot just to find out if your top pair, so-so kicker is good. Don't bother. Let it go.

The weenie bets are frustrating, but life goes on.

I have no problem with you playing QJ from the SB, but you're looking to bust someone with it, not win a TPTK hand against that many opponents. A fold pre-flop would have been fine too.

Know what you want to have happen before you complete. Makes life easier.

kyro
08-09-2004, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Know what you want to have happen before you complete. Makes life easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am only know beginning to apply that thought into my entire game. I HAVE improved due to that, but I still need work. You're right.