PDA

View Full Version : Flopped full house (beginner question)

icecreamwillie
08-08-2004, 01:57 PM
My game is a new (1week old) $100 buy-in live game with 2(button), 2, 3 blinds and a $4 rake.

I had 77 in late position. I called $3 after 3 limpers, button and blinds call.

The flop is 9,9,7! The big blind bet out $20, limpers all folded to me. The big blind was an off duty prop player who has been killing the game every time I've seen him this week. He has been playing quite tightly all night, but has been willing to make some big bets when called for. In short, he is a better player than me. He had between $300 and $400. I had him covered with about $600. I also had been playing very tightly all night. I called.

Turn was an 8. checked to me I bet 60, he called. River was a rag, checked to me. I bet $100, he made a crying call. I showed my full house, he mucked.

Immediately after I played this hand, I concluded that I butchered the hand. I was playing like a limit player.

I'm sure he had a 9. Since he was in the big blind, I would have no idea he hit his kicker until I was facing a big check raise. The way I played it, the odds weren't even. He was going to win a much bigger pot than I, if he hit his hand. I'd like to think I would have folded if he check raised the river all-in, but I think I would have called. I think I shold have made a substantial raise on the flop, perhaps $100 or more, to make him pay for his draw.

Please comment.

PokerFink
08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Ok, so this flop is seven-handed, right? (3 limpers, you, Button, SB, BB). So there is $41 in the pot when he bets to you, and considering that he probably has a nine, I would raise the pot expecting him to call (raise to $61).

From there, he would probably check/call on the turn, so bet out a solid $100 or so.

On the river, when he checks again, I would probably bet out $150, which is just inviting him to call again and pay you off. He isn't committed to this pot yet (only has $160 of his 300-400 in there) and so he might fold to a push. If he check/raises all in, you're pretty much committed to call.

I base all of this on the fact that he is a tight player, and is likely playing a nine, and will pay you off pretty well.

phixxx
08-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Make him pay for what draw? If he's drawing for the full house and has a nine, he's going to stay in the hand anyway.