PDA

View Full Version : Turn Check Raises - Protecting Hand or Too Reckless (value bet river?)

Kevin
08-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Trying to get my $25 worth for SSH. I cr'd the turn with only an overpair last night because I new with the size of the pot everyone was sticking around. Was this reckless? Also, river value bet?

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks,

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (17.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls.

River: (15.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.66 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

chesspain
08-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Why do you want to checkraise the turn? You are either way ahead or way behind to a 3x or to MP2 (most likely ahead of him since he only called the flop), neither of the other players will fold a flush draw, and there is only one possible gutshot draw w/T9. In addition, since the board just paired, you don't care if someone with a Q or 8 hits their kicker, since you still hold the top two pair. If MP2 has AKo, he would probably check this through, which would likely cause you to miss a couple of bets.

In other words, bet the turn!

Kevin
08-08-2004, 04:43 PM
I was thinking about getting a hand like A8 (non-flush draw) out.

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kc Kh (two pair, kings and threes).
Button shows Qc Kd (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 17.66 BB. </font>

Maybe it is wishfull thinking on my part trying to justify a poor play, but if one of the two turn folders that got out due to the CR had an ace, it won me the pot.

I am trying to better understand the chapter on protecting hands - and it looks like this was a misapplication.

Thanks,
Kevin

bisonbison
08-08-2004, 04:45 PM
I was thinking about getting a hand like A8 (non-flush draw) out.

If A8 is in this hand after the preflop and flop action, a turn checkraise aint gonna do squat.