PDA

View Full Version : defend againt this steal?

tallstack
08-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed)

Hero (t620)
UTG (t1760)
MP (t2830)
CO (t495)
Button (t1025)
SB (t1270)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t400</font>

Hero ?

If I don't defend then I will be the smallest stack and I will have to post the sb next hand. Is it worth taking the worst of it here to get back into the game?

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Dave S

mikey checks
08-08-2004, 04:44 AM
ill say it before anyone else,

how aggressive is that player?
how tight does he play?
what kind of hands have come out of what type of raises by him?

if hes tight a 400 might be a steal but then again could be crying for a call

mikey checks
08-08-2004, 04:45 AM
and if u do go all in, wait for a while and fake contemplating the all in before u do...but he'll call for 200more i think

ilya
08-08-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't think this is a good place to take a stand. There will be enough money in the pot if you push that he basically will have to call you, and J4o is a pretty poor hand for running hot-and-cold. At best, he has two non-paired cards between your Jack and 4 and you're a slight favorite. It's much more likely that you're a big undergod.

Not to mention that if your opponent is a bit savvy, he understands that he's risking having to call an all-in by raising a short stack, and is more likely to be holding a hand he doesn't mind making that call with. This is especially likely if he generally seems to follow the "&lt;10xBB, all-in-or-fold" mantra.

Fold here and push when it's folded to your any Ace, any two face cards, any pair, and a few other hands like J9s.

tallstack
08-08-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't have any great read on this player, but I believe he is a little loose and pretty passive. He had shown only decent hands so far, and he hadn't tried to steal many blinds that I had noticed.

I am pretty sure that I am taking the worst of it if I play here. On the other hand, I already have about 1/3 of my chips in the pot, and with it folded around to his sb he could be raising with about anything. Does this make me pot committed here, or is the fold ok?

Thanks,

Dave S

patrick dicaprio
08-08-2004, 10:38 AM
go all in here with any two cards. no matter what he has look at it as if you are no more than a 6-4 dog if he doesnt have a high pair.

Pat

ilya
08-08-2004, 11:18 AM
how do you mean?
he's worse than 6:4 to something as crappy as Q6o.