PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the bright side (losing sessions)

SlyAK
08-08-2004, 02:04 AM
Maybe this belongs in the psych forum but I normally post here and I think this could be helpful to some of the low/mid NL players.

The last few days I have really been struggling with my poker game and dropped almost $1900. It was a combination of bad play and bad beats. The thing that was strange during this period of time is that I constantly entered ever session expecting to lose. I would sit down and actually think, "I wonder how I will manage to lose this time." Not exactly a positive line to be taking. At the time I didnt notice that my play was poor but looking back at it, I realize I was playing way too many hands, and calling too often with marginal hands.

It had a rough few days personally and at work, and that probably had something to do with my attitude. Friday afternoon I did the math and calculated my winnings since I begin playing in December. I had turned a $15 free bonus into $13,035!! At the time I started playing I never would have guessed that I could make more than a couple grand playing in my spare time. 13 grand isn't chump change, (well I am sure it is to some posters but not to me). Hell I could buy a new car with that money. I have accomplished this despite periods of tilt, playing above my bankroll, and stupid mistakes/decisions, etc. I never dreamed that I could make this much money when I started playing. Actually looking at the amount I have made completely turned my mood around and I felt much better about poker and felt that I could win again.

Anyway, this isnt meant to be a self-glorifying post. Later Friday night I played a short session of NL. I expected to win for the first time in days, and I made $210 in less than 2 hours. I am taking the weekend off from poker, but I feel positive about things again. I'm still really just a beginner and although I have the basics down now, am still working on improving my game.

I think that the tortoise wins more money than the hare in poker. When I try to make too much money to fast I stumble, get upset and lose more than I should. Hopefully, this post will help others. Take things slow and steady, and if you are running bad look over your past results. If you are having a bad streak it will turn around, but make sure that you are playing your 'A' game. If you are playing poorly take some time off, and find something that puts you in a better mood before hitting the tables again.

Sly