PDA

View Full Version : Monster hand, should I get greedy?

nothumb
08-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Ok, generally I just need to bet this river, but I wasn't sure because
A. The table was fairly aggressive.
B. 3 players must have been drawing to something!
C. I check-raised the turn and folded to a 3-bet the hand before, so check-raising the field might not have looked so tough.

How often would you consider going for another check-raise here? It just feels so good when it works.

NT

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 folds, Button calls.

River: (17.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero ???

MarkD
08-08-2004, 01:27 AM
I would have bet the flop. Without reading SSH it's possible this is one of thos spots to hold off but I think this should be a bet.

Given the flop play I like the turn value C/R but the river is a clear bet with that large of field and your current play. You may get raised by a flush which would be just lovely. This fact makes it a clear bet.

nothumb
08-08-2004, 01:33 AM
I should have mentioned that comments on other streets were welcome as well. I checked the flop hoping to check/raise a late position bet, because I figured I wouldn't get raised by a hand that beats me anyway (a 4 is probably waiting for the turn) and could very likely end up helping a flush draw build a big pot. (When a bet will not protect your hand). With the bet coming from my right on the flop I was not happy even with a blank on the turn, since check-raising wouldn't really help me (assuming the same player bet) and if I led out I would only get raised if I was beat.

So it was a very good turn for a hand that was starting to look very frustrating.

NT

08-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Bet the river and hope to get raised by a flush or if your really lucky (but unlikely at this point) a player with a four.

TheHip41
08-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Bet the river, any boat, flush, or 4 will call. Better yet, the flushes might raise you. I had this happen to me in live play. I flopped a boat. Didn't put a raise until the turn. The board filled the flush, i bet, got raised, and re raised, so i capped, it was so pretty. Just bet, you will get paid off on this board.

Derek

nothumb
08-08-2004, 03:10 AM
It got checked around. BB mucked a junk 8 and button showed a king-high flush. UTG had 67o. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Probably missed one or possibly two bets here. Button turned out to be super-passive so no way he was raising me.

This was early in my session and had I been at the table a few more orbits I would have known that my aggression totally froze up the loose players and nobody was going to bet behind me on this river. Not a good enough read to have tried it here, but I did, and I don't think anyone bet a river after I checked for the rest of the night. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT