PDA

View Full Version : Good or Lucky? PT stat question

MAxx
08-08-2004, 12:37 AM
How many hands do you need to evaluate your play with confidence at a particular low limit holdem level. For example for the BB/100 stat. Would you say that you can draw solid conclusions from this stat after 500, 5000, 25000, or how many hands? After how many hands would you be confident to draw conclusions about your rate because of your play, and not due to the cards running over you in the shortterm?

Lost Wages
08-08-2004, 01:08 AM
At least 25,000. Really, more like 40,000.

Lost Wages

Blarg
08-08-2004, 07:23 AM
I agree on 25,000 as a base. And that nmore is not overkill at all. Not at all.

I've got over 27,000 at 1/2 and my numbers still seem to vary way too much depending on any particular day's play. Even combining them with my 9 or 10k of 2/4 to get over 35k of hands, a single day's play has way more of an effect on some of my stats than I think it should, but that's the way it goes.

Hopefully your game continues to improve, so I view the first few 10's of thousands of hands as providing an evolving bottom level baseline of stats that I would expect to see rise in time, if you're at the same level at least, especially if you're new to hold'em. An indication of where you've been and how low you can go, with going lower than your average stats over 10's of thousands of hands a warning that you need to look at your game, take time off, whatever.