PDA

View Full Version : Betting the river with 8 high...

jasonHoldEm
08-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Party 3/6

EP leans towards loose/passive but straightforward in his play (i.e. unlikely to slowplay).

Hero has 88 in the SB, suits are irrelevant.

EP limps, MP limps, Hero completes, BB knocks.

FLOP: K, K, T r

checked around

TURN: 4 completes rainbow

Hero bets, BB folds, EP calls, MP folds

RIVER: T

Hero bets...

Thanks,
J

Bob T.
08-07-2004, 10:01 PM
For the investment of one big bet, what have you really got to lose here. You Aren't getting anything by checking, unless your opponent has pocket 7s.

I think the bet is fine.

joker122
08-07-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the investment of one big bet, what have you really got to lose here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...1 big bet?

Your opponent needs to fold here 1 in 4 times for the bet to be worth it. You say he's loose passive so I don't know if you're going to get that.

StellarWind
08-07-2004, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your opponent needs to fold here 1 in 4 times for the bet to be worth it. You say he's loose passive so I don't know if you're going to get that.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not exactly the situation. You may be ahead of a smaller pocket pair or a four with a baby kicker. The problem is if you check he is likely to bluff you and you cannot reasonably call.

This bet gains equity both as a bluff when you are behind and a bluff stopper when you are ahead. I think between the two sources you will probably get your 1/5 win rate. He didn't bet the flop so he probably had nothing at that point. He may have been drawing to overcards and now he has missed. I use this play and it has a good batting average.

StellarWind
08-07-2004, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB knocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you do that online /images/graemlins/grin.gif?

Bet the flop and avoid your river problem. Sometimes it pays to go first. This hand is too good to muck but you do not want to be calling with it when you may be drawing to two outs. Seize the initiative by betting and avoid giving free cards to overcards.

jasonHoldEm
08-08-2004, 01:51 AM
EP flat called with T9 and took it down.

I think I made a mistake by under estimating the possibility of this player holding a ten. In my pre 2+2 days I would have played this hand exactly the same way my opponent did...too scared on the flop to bet and when someone bets into you on the turn and you decide to call down "just in case."

I'm still not exactly convinced what my line should be. It was suggested I bet the flop, but I'm not sure if that's the proper play against three opponents...granted one is the BB on a freeroll so maybe that changes things.

Maybe I'm overthinking a hand that doesn't matter very much in the big picture. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyways, I'd still like to hear more opinions if anyone else wants to chime in.

Thanks,
J