PDA

View Full Version : poker videos??

housenuts
08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
i'm seeing a whole ton of new how to play poker dvds coming out. are any of them worthwhile? are they going to teach you anything more or better than a good book will?

benfranklin
08-07-2004, 11:08 PM
There have been many threads in this forum discussing most of them. Do a search, or just start going back through the thread listings.

The only one I've seen is Lederer's DVD. I watched the first one, which was very basic, but good. It was good enough that I bought his second one, which I have not had time to watch yet.

deacsoft
08-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Mr. Lederer's second DVD is great. It is 100x better than his first one.

Moyer
08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
How would you compare it to say, a good NL book?

Is there any new info in it?

deacsoft
08-08-2004, 06:07 PM
It's not nearly as detailed as many of the books are. The information covered is along the lines of betting strategy, the strengths of occasionally playing suited connectors, the "texture" of the board, etc, etc. He throws in a few tell spotting segments that are basic if you've read Caro's Book of Poker Tells, but he covers them well. In general, all of the information covered is presented in an organized and easy to understand method.

There is not too much for an experienced player to learn as far as new tactics, but Mr. Lederer does offer some personal strategy and provide some very solid, multiple examples to strategy covered.

If you hasve seen the first DVD, you will notice that the second DVD is of much higher quality. You'll notice that things seem a lot more organized, professional, and rehearsed. It's not quite as drastic as a home video vs. next summer's blockbuster but a big step in that direction.

housenuts
08-09-2004, 12:13 AM
i saw lederer's first dvd and it was horrible. the information was useless and the presentation was tragic. nonetheless i would still like to check out the 2nd one now that you say it's 100x better.

tyfromm
08-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Why is the Sklansky video so expensive, considering how out of date it must be by now?

Is this 90 minute video worth $57?

deacsoft
08-11-2004, 02:55 AM
It's much better than the first. It's probably still not the best poker DVD you'll ever see and won't turn you into a champion, but it's worth it.

08-11-2004, 11:10 AM
If you consider the fact that the first video is targeted to beginners (players with very little or no NL experience), the first video isn't bad. I agree that it coiuld have been edited a bit better to clear out some of the minor errors (discussed in previous threads) and it would have been nice if Howard's delivery was a bit more polished.

The second video is much better and I will likely buy the rest of the series.

BTW, Mason gave both videos a very high rating.